Comfortably Numb?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jun 5, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Yesterday was one of those days, running around from one yard to the next, putting out fires.

Caught a swarm from one of my own hives, cut some queen cells off the hive to use in splits and nucs I made up (even found a queen in the back of my truck after one of the cells hatched out :thumbsup:).
    Because of my haste in running around I didn't always have my veil on :roll: and got stung in my right ear. :shock: Not good enough, an hour later I took one right under my left eye! :lol: I figure you all have seen enough pictures of my ugly mug so no pictures. :wink:

Anyway, I have taken to not wearing gloves for the last month or so, and as a result (understandably) I have received what I believe to be a normal amount of venom therapy. A few stings here and there on most days, nothing abnormal I would guess for a keep.

What I find puzzling, is that I am experiencing a lot of numbness in my hands of late. They at times feel as if they have fallen asleep, sometimes pins and needles type tingling. Even just driving down the road with my hands on the steering wheel of my truck seems to be causing this sensation.
    Anyone else ever experience this? :dontknow: I wonder if it's the result of the accumulative stings to the hands, or am I just getting old? :lol:

2. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Maybe a combination of both...lol might need to see the Doc...Tom

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Sounds to me it could be the start of carpal tunnel. Mine get numb, tingly and cold feeling.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

carpal tunnel

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

So don't drive through the carpal tunnel! :roll:

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Fred Sanford (Red Fox) use to get numbness in his hands when he was ask to do some work. Did the wife ask you to do something around the house.:lol: Jack

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Perry, I don't think it's old age. I'm old. and my hands aren't numb.:grin:

Walt

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I have received what I believe to be a normal amount of venom therapy. A few stings here and there on most days, nothing abnormal I would guess for a keep."

.........:lol: trade places with ya perry!

ps like others said, carpal tunnel

9. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Does this happen after 7 or 8 beers? :grin:

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

Does this happen after 7 or 8 beers? :grin:

........boiler jim, if i had 7 or 8 beers i would be numb and feeling no pain.......:lol:

11. Dunkel

Dunkel New Member

bth_cake.jpg Figured the pie deal was copyrighted or something.:smile:

The numbnes may be related to a muscle spasm putting pressure on a nerve. Wife just had neck surgery due to three rupture dics in her neck. Must have been bulged for a while and one morning bam. She had always complained of numbness.

12. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

What a coincidence! My wife had a neck fusion last year (Friday, July 13th, an easy day to remember). She had (and still has) some muscle spasms and numbness after chopping vegetables or washing her hair in the shower. She went to the surgeon yesterday and he said she may have pinched or damaged the spinal column before her surgery, and if it gets better, it will take a long time.

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Figured the pie deal was copyrighted or something.:smile:

........:lol:

14. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

The swelling from stings may be causing a pinched nerve in your wrists. carpal tunnel is normally related to swelling from chronic inflamation, maybe the venom is giving you similar issues. You might find it useful to keep a log for a couple of weeks. Log all instances of numbness and tingling along with a # for severity. Also log manual work involving hands and gripping and a third ledger for bee stings. You will soon see what's going on.

15. Lburou

Lburou Member

Yes, read up on carpel tunnel syndrome. If the thumb, first and middle fingers are numb, it could be carpel tunnel. If the ring and little finger are numb, it could be cubital tunnel syndrome. Your numbness is likely a result of sleeping with your hand in an unnatural position. If all five are numb, see a doctor. If they are numb only on Thursdays, don't worry about it. ;)

I like the stings on my hands, it has done wonders for my arthritis!

16. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

My carpal tunnel actually starts in nerve knots around my shoulder blades. I skipped the surgery, but I did see my massage therapist/DOM trained massage therapist yesterday morning. There is also a mirroring effect where trouble in one wrist mirrors in the other.

I've been getting massage and/or some electrical treatments since about 2002, as needed, which is a few times a year... No needles, no drugs, no stitches.

My carpal tunnel typically acts up when I have been using a screwdriver a lot, or my heavy drill, or driving an awful lot. something in how I hold my back/neck/shoulders and hands seems to irritate it. Treatment reduces inflammation and the symptoms disappear. No stings on mine, I got it from hand-sewing back in the 1980's.. It's better now.