Beekeeping Forums banner

computer crashed

3K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  rast 
#1 ·
I spent the last hour throwing a computer together. I was on here and wife got home, had to get on facebook, computer got honey in it, so to speak, and wouldn't start back up when kicked in the, uh, rebooted. Virus or HD. Well, looks like it works. Gonna have to buy another Windows disc one of these days.

#2 ·
Glad to hear you got one up and going, my other lap top is sitting in the corner waiting for me to take it back apart for the third time to work on the power adapter jack. I kind of stole the wifes for the time being.

so how did you get honey in it????

G3

#6 ·
I was using nortons but like you said is slowed it down something fierce, dropped that.
went to the avg and did not care for it either, too many updates that slowed everything down when making them.
using the avast now, and will do updates on the fly with out slowing things down, I like it. When searching for something it will even look at the website and if it detects a virus or trojen horse it will not open it automatically.

Can't remember who told me about it ;)

G3

#16 ·
Iddee don't thump on hives to hear how strong they are either.
First time ever, I had 2 computers crash this week. First one the other night was the hard drive, not a virus. Last night was a power supply. Took the two and made one. This one is a real Frankenstein, but works. Didn't want to buy another OS so I had to keep the hard drive, MB, and processor together. I'm running out of parts.

#18 ·
Can I download Avast to my desktop at work, copy it to a CD, and install it here on my home computer(s)? I have dialup and at 35MB thats an allnight session. I haqve had problems in the past with some programs not letting me do that. I see it has spyware incorporated in it, does it work as well as spybot or adaware?
Thanks

#19 ·
Personally, I think it works better than Spybot. Everyone raved about it, but when I loaded it here, my computer went haywire and locked itself up. It took me days to restore it. I have had no such issues with Avast. Not sure about copying to CD... have not tried it.

#21 ·
Perhaps I should have worded it differtly. Can I copy it in its entireity to a folder on my desktop? Having done this with other programs, I then just delete the folder. The desktop is the main screen, part of the C drive where I copy stuff to prior to installing it.

#23 ·
rast said:
Perhaps I should have worded it differtly. Can I copy it in its entireity to a folder on my desktop? Having done this with other programs, I then just delete the folder. The desktop is the main screen, part of the C drive where I copy stuff to prior to installing it.
That should be fine, I do that all the time ;)

#24 ·
I'm no computer expert, but I think some programs copy "shared files" to locations other than where you think you are sending it. I've run into this on occasion. If you run the executable out of the folder, it knows where to find these other files. If you move it, it can't find them. Not saying that all programs do this.. .It's certainly worth a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.