Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any computer nerds here? I've been a semi-nerd for the last 10 years or so. I build my own towers and run Linux most of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,697 Posts
I'm a complete computer idiot.
And I also know my limits. If I get stressed in having to deal with the inner working and programs, I'd either throw my screen through the window or have a stroke.... :eek:

Twenty years ago, I ran satellite systems and programs that would make your head spin. I was maintenance and operator of systems controlling everything from ground launch mobiles, to spy ware. The pressure and stress was unbearable. I walked away and I hate dealing with anything electronic, computers, or programming. And I'd rather blow my brains out than call tech support. I call a geek every so often, and he comes out and does what he needs to. My life is much better.... :drinks:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
You tell me, I have 1 server running centos5 (linux), 1 running windoze server 2003, a win xp mail/ftp server, my laptop running vista premium 64 bit, my desktop is a custom (built by me) tower water cooled with an opteron server processor overclocked about 30% and 8800gt oc'd about 10% running vista ultimate 64

If you know what all that means then you are as geeky as I :drinks:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
I bought 1 computer back when it was top off the line a 75 Pentium with 8 megs of ram. Win 311. Spent $160 to put 16 more megs in it. Built everyone I've had since then. I like the hardware part and hate the software part.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
rast said:
I bought 1 computer back when it was top off the line a 75 Pentium with 8 megs of ram. Win 311. Spent $160 to put 16 more megs in it. Built everyone I've had since then. I like the hardware part and hate the software part.
I remember paying $20 a meg for my dx2 66 :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
I wish I knew more. If I had the knowledge, I'd drop-kick this lousy Dell off the nearest cliff and hook up something with Linux.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,146 Posts
First computer had a CP/M operating system, had two 8 1/2 inch floppy drives, a 12 inch monitor, 64K of memory, and a daisy wheel printer! One scream'in machine! Cost $3600 for the whole mess. :shock:

Through the years have periodically purchased PC's, for considerably less than the CP/M. Now I just want a computer to "work" and not give me problems.

Purchased a PC from HP with Vista. After a week of tech support from both the ISP and HP, I sent the thing back, put a new fan in my Dell XP, and am still using it. :| Will seriously look at Mac for the next one.

Walt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charles said:
You tell me, I have 1 server running centos5 (linux), 1 running windoze server 2003, a win xp mail/ftp server, my laptop running vista premium 64 bit, my desktop is a custom (built by me) tower water cooled with an opteron server processor overclocked about 30% and 8800gt oc'd about 10% running vista ultimate 64

If you know what all that means then you are as geeky as I :drinks:
LOL I know what you're talking about. :D I haven't run a server, haven't had a need to. Haven't done the water cooled either, but I used to overclock a few cpus. Never run a vid card that was overclockable. I have to stick to a budget when I build. :mrgreen:
I ran up to 16 towers at one time. Ran distributed computing projects on them. Now I have 3 towers set up, with KVM. I have 2 towers with 2 hard drives each, and run Vista and PCLinuxOS on this one and PCLinuxOS and Kubuntu on the other. The least of my towers (oldest cpu and mobo) I run as test machine for different Linux flavors.
I tend to stick with Linux distros that have GUIs. I'm not much for text installs.
Now you will have me checking out CentOS again though. Been awhile since I tried it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Brenda said:
LOL I know what you're talking about. :D I haven't run a server, haven't had a need to. Haven't done the water cooled either, but I used to overclock a few cpus. Never run a vid card that was overclockable. I have to stick to a budget when I build. :mrgreen:
I ran up to 16 towers at one time. Ran distributed computing projects on them. Now I have 3 towers set up, with KVM. I have 2 towers with 2 hard drives each, and run Vista and PCLinuxOS on this one and PCLinuxOS and Kubuntu on the other. The least of my towers (oldest cpu and mobo) I run as test machine for different Linux flavors.
Back in the day when I did that for a living, I used to take care of a network with about 40 machines running dos 622, win3.1, 95, and xp, hp-ux, sun solaris, red hat, os2, and an NT 4.0 machine running as a domain controller and lotus notes server. It was sure fun :)

My servers now are web servers running about 50 domains. Pretty easy to maintain :)

Good times :thumbsup:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top