Confused with this one?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, May 20, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Did inspections today. My biggest hive. 2 deeps and 3 mediums. All 3 mediums full of honey but not capped yet. Does not come out when frames turned on side.

Here is what I don't understand. The brood boxes had honey in them as well. I found swarm cells today, hanging on the bottom of frames. BUT, there were empty frames of foundation (all were wax foundation) lots and lots of bees. Why would I find swarm cells when they had plenty of frames with foundation. The wax foundation was covered with bees, thick, but not a hint of being pulled. I removed all swarm cells and split the colony, added deeps and mediums with wax coated plastic foundation this time. Mixing up all the boxes with foundation and comb, honey etc.

I put 5 capped queen cells in the incubator so I can add a queen to the hive that didn't get the queen.

Would a hive refuse wax foundation like that, and swarm instead of pulling it?

I hope I did the right thing, I sure didn't want this hive swarming, it's the biggest and most calm hive I have,
    should I extract the honey even though it's not capped yet. I mean all 10 frames in the 3 supers are pulled and full of honey.

Now I have 2 hives, 2 deeps each, and one with 2 mediums and the other with 3 mediums on top.

Geez, wasn't expecting to see that.

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Did you find the queen in the box where you found the queen cells?

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Sometimes, no matter how nicely we treat our bees, their natural swarming instinct will take over. Then, if we catch it on time, we can do something to prevent the loss of the swarm. It sounds like you caught matters on time and did the right thing. Like gunsmith asked--did you find the queen. She should be removed (eliminated) and use two of the emerging queens for the two hives you now have. If you leave her in, she just might decide to leave with a swarm anyway.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Did not see her yesterday. looked but just to many bees. I do think she got moved to the new hive because after about an hour (while we put togther the new boxes and frames). We went back to add them, the old hive was buzzing very load. The new hive was quiet.

Seems like I remember reading or seeing somewhere that when the colony decides to swarm, they will not draw out new comb. I wonder if this is why they were not drawing the frames with foundation?

5. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

yes, sounds like the new hive ended up with the queen, which is what you want. By removing the old queen and lots of bees, you've created an artificial swarm. Hopefully now the old hive will think it's swarmed. I think you should have left some queen cells in the old hive unless you have a queen to give them.