Confusing winter so far, to say the least!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Dec 19, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I was worried about the small bee clusters having a bad time of it with approaching cold weather, but cold weather really hasn't arrived, and queens are still laying in small patterns, but still laying larger then I would imagine they would were it a colder winter, while that is a apparently good thing, assuming the weather stays relatively warm. The plants certainly appear to be spoofed by the weather--with the shortest day of winter approaching and still 2 days away, dogwood trees, loquart trees, and others shrubs are either blooming, or about to, with all showing new growth,
    infact the loquarts are almost done. exceptionally early for this all to be happening. I am still feeding the bees, infact one hive actually had alittle leftover feed and pollen is still coming in. At this point I almost hope the colder weather doesn't arrive to allow the colonies to build up a bit before the real nectar flows start.
    Barry:thumbsup:

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It's been in the 60s here. I'm afraid my bees have been using up their stores. I put some sugar on newspaper on the top frames today in both hives and sprayed it with a little water and HBH just in case. They were flying today, and it looked like they were flying back and forth to the woods beside the yard. I know there's nothing blooming, but maybe there's something still growing that interests them. ::shrug:: I guess they know what they're doing.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Last winter was unusually mild. So far, it's been a very mild winter again here in NY, with only one snowfall of 2" in all this time. Temps have not dipped much below the 20'sF at night, but thankfully at least that's enough to keep the bees clustered for the most part. That means they are not flying and eating up all their food stores to maintain energy. There is certainly NOTHING blooming in my area, so the only things they can do by flying on the occasional warm day is get water and relieve themselves. Temps are only going to get colder over the next two months at least.

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It looks like some snow may be headed your way in the next couple of days. It's causing trouble now in the midwest.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

every winter.... heck every season... seems fairly unpredictable here.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

There is nothing a beekeeper can DO that will guarantee him/her a yield. In the long run, we are all dependent on the graces of God's blessings. WE can feed, replace queens, treat for varroa, SHB, etc. If God wills there to be no rain, or too much rain, no cold or too much cold, no heat or too much heat, dry winds, etc., etc., there won't be a crop.
    We can only do our best and pray that we will be rewarded for our efforts and our deeds.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It's been a mild winter here until Today. The temp.is 33F, wind 40mp.,and snow:shock:, the snow is not to accumulate over 1/2 in.? The bad thing is, i have to go put out hay (don't have a cab on the 3020 JD:roll:), Built a shed for the cattle a few years back (for shelter) and guess what, the heard is laying under the cedars down by the creek chewing their cud, and waiting for me to put out cattle cubs and hay.:eek: Jack

8. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Get a tractor with a cab. Life is too short. Not only will the cab keep you warm, it will keep you from breathing pure dust when you plow.