contemplating continuing feeding my packages or not!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, May 27, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

they have like 5 frames drowned out with honey and brood! well from what i been reading some say let the bees do there thing and stop feeding and some say feed and let the bee decide if he wants to eat the feed or forage!

the problem i am having is : if i decide to feed and let them decide for themselfs then feed may spoil and draw other insects.. i hate to waste feed and i want to do whats right!
    what are you guys doing?

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

the rule is feed the bees till they stop taking the syrup, then stop--chances are there is a nectar flow going on in your area, bees will always choose nectar to sugar syrup.
    Barry

3. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

For package bees, installed with no drawn comb, I usually feed until they have drawn enough comb to overwinter on. For me, that's two deeps.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Place a quart on the hive. If not finished in 3 days, quit feeding.

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I have three nucs that I have the same concern about. Two are on wax foundation and one on plastic. About 6 1/2 frames drawn. They will take syrup but leave very little room for the queen to lay as the foragers seem to be competing for the new cells as soon as thy get even partially drawn out. There is some flow but I am between dandylion and clover with a bit of a lull. I know feeding is supposed to increase comb building but if it is limiting brood building it seems a bit catch 22 situation. I have cut way back on the feeding and changed to 2 to 1 syrup and they seem not to be wetting up as many cells.
    In this location night time temperatures have been getting down into the fifties every night so maybe they have no night shift of wax building.

I think being able to deal with lots of uncertainty is a prime requirement of a beekeeper.:smile:

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Bees tend to store 2 to 1 syrup, i would change to 1 to 1 syrup and see if that helps. Jack

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I agree with Jack, and maybe even go to 1:2. Keep them busy without adding a lot to the storage area.

8. cheezer32

cheezer32 New Member

If your worried about the queen not having enough room to lay, or overfeeding another option you could use is to limit the amount of feed. If your using a jar to feed you could try to use a lid with only a couple very tiny holes to limit how fast they can feed, some people call this drip feeding. If your using a hive top or frame feeder just measure a certain amount (say 1 quart per week or so)

You will eventually find a good ratio for open space and having enough feed; as long as there is a thin rim of capped honey/syrup along the brood frames I'm content, when they start digging into that then I know there starting to run a little low.