cooking oil

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fatbeeman, Oct 19, 2011.

1. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

anyone got any used cooking oil or know where I can get for free or trade honey for??????
    Don
    :hi: :drinks:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I ask my local restaurants what days they change out their deep fry oil. I then take a container there on those mornings and leave it there for the day. I pick it up in the evening. They give it to me free.

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I would suggest a Mom and Pop restaurant. Chain restaurants will have someone come and remove their old oil. A local school might be the place to ask as well, if they still fry anything anymore.

4. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

... :?: :?: :?: ... What do you need used oil for? ... :?: :?: :?: ...

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

To make bio-diesel, or some engines use pure cooking oil.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I see jfreeman says he places used cooking oil in his beetle traps. he says it works as an attractant.

7. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Ah! Interesting. Thanks. (As for "where to get some" I've friends who own a bowling alley and they were recently complaining about disposing of the fry oil. Kind of a Mom and Pop establishment...)

8. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

skyhigh
    wish you lived closer I run old oil in my truck.
    Don

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I usually collect about 250-300 gallons per month. I process it into bio-diesel and run it in my trucks and oil furnace. 250,000 combined miles on the trucks now and still going strong!

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

As an interesting side story:

Ac couple years ago I was looking at home brewed bio-diesel. Out in California (I think it was Sacremento) the city adapted all the city vehicles to run on it. They were going around to all the eating establishments and collecting the used oil. Then started running out. It seems that "home-brewers" were coming around in the middle of the night and beating the city to it. I thought it was funny.

11. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

That's true on the East Coast as well. I have a deal with all my suppliers and they put their oil back into the 5 gallon jugs in which it came out of when they purchased it new. The bigger suppliers such as a school and the power company have their oil fenced in and I actually need to call the security guard to get let in for a pick up.

There were several more restaurants that said I could pick up their oil but like gunsmith said other people were stealing it in the middle of the night.

I have olenty tho'...all for free..except I make soap out of the byproduct (glycerin) and give it to the nice folks that let me take the oil. :thumbsup:

12. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Never knew this. Soooo interesting!