Cooking with Honey....

Discussion in 'Your Favorite Recipes' started by Iddee, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Post your favorite recipe here, using honey. It can be cook or no-cook recipe.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Venison jerky recipe

1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup worcestershire sauce
    4 tablespoon catchup
    4 tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon ground red pepper, or to taste
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion salt
    2 teaspoon salt

Marinate 24 hours in frig.
    Dry at 135 to 145 F. until consistency desired is obtained. "Usually 12 to 24 hours in my dehydrator". Limber should be stored in frig. Totally dry will keep on shelf or in hunting coat pocket.
    Turning each piece over and reversing the trays midway will give a more consistent drying.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Beef Spare Ribs

1 cup of honey
    1/2 cup of BBQ sauce
    1/2 rack of Beef Spare ribs.

Mix honey and BBQ sauce, and coat the ribs in it, BBQ on the grill with low heat (enough to cook them in 45 minutes, but not sooner)... and recoat them every time you flip them. It should be like a BBQ candy glaze when done.

I'm going to add this to the same post because it's basically the same recipe.

Keilbassa

1 cup of honey
    1/2 cup of BBQ sauce
    1 Keilbassa sausage

Cut the Keilbassa into round slices, combine honey and bbq sauce as before, start frying the kielbassa (don't add oil to the frying pan), fry for 1 minute and flip the slices over, fry for one more minute then mix in honey/bbq sauce mix and continue cooking until the sauce is thick and sticky (do this in a non-stick pan or you'll regret it).

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Let me just say I like stuff cooked with honey, Honey in my tea and on my flap jacks most every day.
    But cooking with honey is easy with the 1500 recipes found on the national honey board web site.
    From a honey of a chillie
    1 package (15 oz.) firm tofu
    1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 Tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can (15-1/2 oz.) red kidney beans, undrained
    1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
    1/4 cup honey
    2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar

Directions
    Using a cheese grater, shred tofu and freeze in zippered bag or airtight container. Thaw tofu; place in a strainer and press out excess liquid. In large saucepan or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot; cook and stir onion, green pepper and garlic 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown. Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano and crushed red pepper. Stir in tofu: cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in diced tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce, honey and vinegar.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

to a real nice summer cool smothey.

http://www.honey.com/consumers/recipes/recipes.asp

:mrgreen: Al

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

When we had little kids in the house and what made Baby Beek want to have bees in the first place when she was only 3 or 4 years old are the Honey Milk Balls and Miss Martha's Granola Bar recipe.

Honey Balls

1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup peanut butter
    1/2 cup dry milk, nonfat
    1/2 cup crushed cereal

Mix honey and peanut butter. Gradually add dry milk and mix well. Chill for a few hours for easier handling. With greased hands form into small balls, then roll in crushed cereal. chill until firm. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.

Miss Martha's Granola Bars

1 cup honey
    1 cup peanut butter
    3 1/2 cups rolled oats
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup grated carrots
    1/2 cup coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and grate carrots. Put honey and peanut butter into large saucepan & cook on low heat until they melt. Remove the pan from the heat and add oatmeal, raisins, carrots, and coconut to the saucepan. Stir well, and let it cool until you can safely touch it with your hands. Put the mix in the baking pan. Press the mix firmly into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 25 minutes. Cut into bar.

I gotta go soon and finish making the baby quilt for my friends baby shower tomorrow but I'll try to get some more of our favorites up soon.

THANKS FOR THE JERKY RECIPE IDDEE!!!! (and the jerky, what a special surprise!)

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Here's the pumpkin pie recipe I just made... turned out good, too.

1 quart of pumpkin puree (from a jack-o-lantern pumpkin, if using a pie pumpkin, reduce or eliminate the amount of honey)
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
    4 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup of honey
    2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    2. Cut out bottom of pumpkin (or top and turn the pumpkin over when baking) and clean out all seeds and strings from inside.
    3. Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour. Once done, the skin should lift off the pumpkin meat, puree in a blender until smooth.
    4. Turn oven up to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
    5. Mix the nutmeg, ginger, salt, sweetened condensed milk, honey and eggs with the pumpkin puree. Pour mixture into two 9 inch pie crusts.
    6. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool and refrigerate.

7. Omie

Omie New Member

Honey Eggplant Chutney dip/spread

A spread you can eat with crackers, crusty bread, or pita bread.
    This recipe makes a large panful, part of which you can refrigerate for later.
    Or you can cut recipe in half to make it more manageable.

You'll need:
    2 med-large eggplants
    1/2 large onion
    2/3 cup honey
    1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
    salt, pepper
    1 small jar chutney (mango or Major Grey's)

Peel two eggplants and slice and dice into 1/2" cubes. Soak them in salty
    water for about 20 minutes (to remove bitterness), then drain thoroughly for 10
    minutes- squeeze out any excess liquid. (The eggplant seems like a huge amount,
    but it will cook down to less than half its volume)

Chop 1/2 onion.
    Put eggplant and onion into a large pan with 3 or 4 tablespoons olive oil and
    let simmer on LOW for about an hour, stirring about every 15 minutes. (Best to set a timer so you
    don't forget about it!)
    Eggplant should be soft and well cooked.
    Take a potato masher and mash up the eggplant and onion right in the pan until
    it's more spreadable but still with nice chunks throughout.
    Add some salt and ground pepper.
    Add 1/2 cup mango chutney from a jar. Can use papaya chutney or Major Grey's
    Chutney, etc.
    Add 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds and 2/3 cup cup honey.
    Stir well and simmer another 20 minutes on very low.
    Stir and turn off heat and let sit until room temperature, at which point you
    can serve it and/or refrigerate it. Best served at room temp.

Serve with crackers or bread- pita bread is good too. Everyone seems to love this stuff when I've served it.

8. XLB

XLB New Member

this how I like honey...
    you'll need:

honey
    teaspoon

take the honey and pour as much as will possibly fit on the teaspoon. then,put the teaspoon in your mouth and enjoy!
    :mrgreen:

9. Omie

Omie New Member

I cut the formalities and go straight to tablespoon.

Or just pour from the bottle into mouth.

10. XLB

XLB New Member

good idea omie, I'll remember that next time i gourge myself on honey. :lol: :lol: :rolling: :rolling:

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Taking it right from the honey bear is best. It's like sucking that sweet stuff straight from a..a..a..er..baby bottle. Yeah, that's it, a baby bottle.

12. Omie

Omie New Member

Just put it in a Playtex nurser bottle already. :lol:

Most every evening i have a cup of Japanese Kukicha tea in a HUGE latte cup. At first I would squeeze the plastic bottle of honey a teaspoon at a time. But i found that even 4 or 5 teaspoons was not enough to sweeten that gigantic cup of tea enough. And it was taking way too much time. :cool: That's when I just switched to tablespoons.....three of them, heaping, per cup. :shock: :mrgreen:
    Maybe i should just throw a teabag in the honey bottle instead.

13. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

does anyone else put a dripping layer of honey on a piece of toast with peanut butter? tasty n easy!! also try a few tablespoon fulls in a bowl of oatmeal in stead of sugar. I have a recipe for wheat rolls that calls for honey. We use it all the time and love it. If anyone is interested I will post it.

14. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Yes, please post the wheat roll recipe. My expertise at cooking is to order Chinese take-out, but my wife loves to cook and bake, especially baking breads. She'd love a new roll recipe, not to mention the chance to use honey.

Thanks,

Walt

15. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Fred Bread
    Mix in a large bowl:
    3 1/2 cups of warm water
    1/2-3/4 cup of honey
    1 cup of oil
    4 tablespoons of dry yeast

Then add:
    3 eggs
    1tablespoon of salt
    10-10 1/2 cups of flour( any combo of white and/or wheat)

Knead about 5 min. Shape into rolls. Put on an ungreased pan and let rise for 10-20 min.
    Bake for 9-10 min @ 425 F.
    This will make a cookie tray full.
    We call it fred bread because everyone in our church fell in love with it after I made them for a carry in dinner. My nickname is fred, so the church family just called it fred bread. Honestly, I don't remember the original title so your welcome to rename it if you want. The rolls are easy to make and quite delicious I hope you enjoy them!

16. Walt B

Walt B New Member

:goodpost:

Thanks. We appreciate the recipe and soon, the entire neighborhood will be enjoying "Fred Bread".

Walt

17. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Easy Honey Chicken Wings
    **National Honey Board?s Beekeepers?Favorite Recipe Contest Winner** Appetizer North Central Beekeepers Association
    - Makes 8 servings -

Ingredients
    1/2 cup honey
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup chili sauce
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    8 drops red pepper sauce
    3 lbs. chicken wings or drumettes

Directions
    Combine honey, soy sauce, chili sauce, garlic salt, pepper and red pepper sauce. Arrange chicken in single layer in a 9x13-inch baking pan and pour on sauce. Turn chicken over to coat with sauce. Bake at 350?F for one hour, turning over once. Cool slightly and serve.

18. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Beef and Potato Tzimmes
    - Makes 6 servings -

Ingredients
    2 Tablespoons Vegetable oil, divided
    2 lbs. stew meat, cut in 1-1/2-inch chunks
    2 cups chopped onion
    2 cups sliced (1-inch thick) carrots
    2 teaspoons garlic salt
    Water
    2 cups cubed (1-inch thick) potato
    2 cups cubed (1-inch thick) sweet potato
    1/3 cup honey
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
    4 oz. dried apricots
    4 oz. pitted prunes
    2 Tablespoons flour, optional
    2 Tablespoons chopped parsley

Directions
    Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in heavy 5-quart pot over medium heat. Add beef and brown on all sides. Remove beef from pan, add remaining oil, if necessary, and saut? onion until tender. Return beef to pan; add carrots, salt and about 4 cups water to cover ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour. Add potatoes, sweet potatoes, honey, cinnamon and pepper; stir and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until potatoes are barely cooked. Add dried fruit and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until beef is tender. Liquid should be slightly thickened. If necessary, dissolve flour in 3 tablespoons water and stir into stew; return to simmer, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with parsley before serving, if desired.

Nutritional Information Per Serving
    Calories: 616 Calories from Fat: 23% Carbohydrates: 79.7 g Cholesterol: 111 mg Dietary Fiber: 7.8 g Fat Total: 15.9 g Protein: 41.6 g Sodium: 716 mg

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

We had Fred bread for breakfast this morning. It was great.

My wife split the recipe, which would make about 50 rolls, then split the dough and added cinnamon to about a dozen of the rolls. She cooked the other dozen as bread. Both were delicious.
    She will be making it often.

20. Walt B

Walt B New Member

My wife also baked some Fred Bread rolls and we had some at dinner last night. They are wonderful! She'll be making more.

Walt