cool weather community feeding

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Mar 5, 2013.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

While it doesn't look like it today spring is coming but it's still too cold for syrup feeding. Is it a problem to put out a community feeder with syrup for the days when it's warm enough for the bees to fly? Thinking it would give them SOMETHING to do until the maples bloom. What about a pollen sub feeder?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have one boardman feeder out in the open. Not to feed the bees, but for easy access to a bee on flying days for apitherapy. They are easy to catch when full of sugar water.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I have a couple of quart jars I set out on warm days. I figured that if they want or need it, they'll take it. They've worked it pretty good. I'm down to 1/2 jar in each one. But it's going to be cold again this week, so I'll see how they do this weekend when it warms up.

4. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Iddee, all I need to do for apitherapy is suit up, tape every joint in my suit and go to my cut out hive and start moving frames, never fails that hive will find the weak point in my armor and give me 2 or 3 rounds of apitherapy :lol:. I think I can count the times on one hand that I've not received apitherapy from them.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Do you still sting yourself in the back Iddee?

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

So I'm not going to do any real harm by putting out some feeders.

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Working on the neck at the present, Perry. The lower back will get it when I start moving boxes.

DLMKA, no harm done if it isn't too close to the hives.

As slowmodem says, it also helps build up the local ferals for a better chance of catching local swarms. :D