Corn aka Maize

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ray, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray Member

The irreplaceable food?
    Its in our beverages, in plastics, in our gas tanks, in our houses.....It is food and food for our food.
    It pays the wages of a million people (a guesstimate)
    AND......
    It is responsible a huge dead area in the Gulf of Mexico, caused by fertilizer run-off.
    Drinking water in many areas of our country(s) have nitrates in them for the same reason.
    Many aquifers are depleted irrigating the crop, some of it to utilize the over fertilization (see above).
    AND......

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/9045-Bayer-Slams-‘Draconian’-EU-Plan-to-Ban-Neonicotinoids

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/9054-Wild-Bees-Honey-Bees-Pollination

Am I just; blowing off steam or preaching to the choir? Solutions??????

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Interesting; have not read the links yet but have seen reference to the "villain maize" It lends itself well to mechanical harvest and stores and transports very well. It is however very hard on the land especially now that so much acreage is committed for raising it to produce biofuel at a net energy loss, in the meantime really jacking up the price of food for people on the ragged edge of subsistence. That is a good part behind the Arab Spring problems. 5000 miles does not insulate us from spin off effects.

Wherever we have huge monocultures of reduced genetic diversity crops, we create ideal training ground for pestilence to adapt habits enabling it to consume the crops before we can. Resilience is destroyed by having our eggs more and more in one basket.

We think we have been very clever with our inventiveness but a step back for a longer view would show we are struggling like heroes but heading down a blind alley! Confront us with what we are doing and you will get strong denial!

3. Omie

Omie New Member

There's a documentary out called "King Corn" about the way big corporations and just plain greed have promoted the current irresponsible monoculture system, which is causing the destruction of our ecosystem on a massive scale, sickness and death of animals and humans, and quite possibly our very future existence.

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Omie I agree 100%. As far as greed and short sighted decision making I feel that that might be part of a fatal flaw in humanity. It had survival value and certainly has brought man to take over the resources of, and outbreed all other species it encounters! That is what evolution rewards up until it overshoots and causes collapse of its resource base. We have even more advanced methods of destroying our environment than the Easter Islanders had and we dont appear to have any more vision in seeing it coming than they did!

I blog I find interesting by a man named George Mobus focuses on systems analysis. http://questioneverything.typepad.com/

You might find it interesting how he tries to anaylise why we do what we do. There is certainly days of reading here if you go back through his work. I heard him intervieved on New Zealand radio but he is a US professor. His outlook is a bit bleak but I feel that he hits the nail every stroke.