Cought a swarm yesterday.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I got a call from my local fire department yesterday and they had a swarm on their back porch.
    I grabbed my neighbor and a nuke box and went up there and got it. About the size of a soccer ball.
    He has that top bar hive built and sitting empty. So we put them in there and he is feeding them. And we have a strong flow on right now, s I think they will make it.

Then this morning they called again and another ball was there in the same exact place about the 1/2 the size of a soccer ball.

Any ideas what was up with this second group this morning? Surley not a second swarm at the same place.

I sprayed them with a mist of water and brushed them in a small box. The 20 or 30 that were flying around were landing and trying to get in the box like there was a queen in there.

I ran them through a queen excluder and found no queen. So I added these bees to this Nuc I built 2 days ago and have not released the queen in yet. I figured it was a win/win for both. The Nuc could use the bees and the bees need a home.

Any chance if there was a queen in this second ball that she is small enough to go through the excluder. I am thinking this second group may have been there from yesterdays swarm and still smelled the queen on the end of that board.

2012-09-22_08-32-33_6.jpg 2012-09-22_08-32-23_977.jpg

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I'm thinking that the second ball were the scout bees that had returned after you took the first bunch.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Like Gunsmith said, "the second ball were the scout bees that had returned after you took the first bunch." It's amazing how fast the bees in a swarm will start foraging.

After capturing a swarm, the best policy is to leave the swarm box in its position till twilight, when all the foraging bees have returned to their new home. Then, move the swarm to its new location in the dark.

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

can you do a newspaper combine (just to be safe), they'll need all the bees they can get at this point.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Definitely. If you had caught it fast enough, no paper would be necessary but, as you say, "just to be safe" it won't hurt.
    I would just suggest that you look through the second cluster to be sure that there's no queen (possibly virgin) since there is a very small chance that it might be an "afterswarm" that went to the same spot after the first swaarm was taken.