county skeeter sprayer

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Jul 10, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

how much effect does the skeeter controll truck have on the bees...im a good ways (600ft) off the road but its a fogger truck he's running ???

2. rast

rast New Member

Where you live, if anybody needs skeeter control, it's you. Contact the county or/and catch the driver and tell em you have bees and most will turn off the malathion in the immediate area of your hives. Here they spray after dark when most are in the hive and I have not seen an ill effect.

3. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

You may be far enough off the road. Many cities mosquito spray after dark, when the skeeters are out. Your bees will be safely in the hive.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

600 feet is a good ways away, the wind would have to catch it just right to bother your bees.

5. mjrice

mjrice New Member

In my county, they say they use "a permethrin-based insecticide,
    which is a man-made version of Pyrethrin which is derived from plants in the
    Chrysanthemum family". That sounds like a whole different thing than malathion - anybody know its effects on bees?

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i havent seen any dead bees...or noticed any drop in activity....but i noticed him spraying last night....i'll let him do his thing....unless i notice something theres no reason not to...Rast...you to for that matter....the tiny zebra skeeters are out in force right now but soon...the turkey skeeters will be back (shudder) they hurt when they harpoon ya :/

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I had 30 hives 75 feet from the road in MS. in 82-83, and the spray never hurt them. They were usually bearded over two or more deeps.