cow out

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by G3farms, Dec 19, 2010.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Got a call from a neighbor saying there was a cow out in the road, before I could get my clothes pulled on another neighbor calls and says she is blocking traffic. Old cow broke through the rotten barbed wire and was just munching grass in the ditch line, since it was getting dark she couldn't hardly find where she broke through and went across the road and into a subdivision. Finally got her back across the road and she jumped the fence. Donna and me were patching fence in the dark for about 1 1/2 hours, at least the ground was partly frozen. Looks like I will be building new fence on this piece of ground sooner than later. Sure do hate to since the owner is 101 years old and it would likely get sold when she dies, but I guess that is the price I will have to pay for 40 acres of no rent pasture.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now's the time to make an offer on the 40 acres.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I don't have a couple of million in the bank. Nice piece of property though, road frontage on two sides, gas, water, sewer, 3 phase power, fiber optics. Lays fairly flat with a creek off to one side, only problem is its rocky just below the dirt.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Offer 200 G for the 40 acre pasture only. Be ready to buy at 3.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

It would take something closer to 1.2 million. I could not even come up with 200 G let alone 300. Sad part is I use to be in her will years ago and would have had 1/3 of it, times changed I guess (did not know it at the time).

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm of the opinion that it never hurts to ask, or at least show interest. Can't hurt. It would be awful if it sold and you found out later that they didn't offer it to you because they had no idea that you might want it.

Personally, if I were 101, I would sooner sell my beloved land to a good friend for $1 than to a stranger who would develop it for $1 million.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hobie, old pal, old buddy,got any land for sell, i found a dollar in my wifes car ash tray. :thumbsup: Jack

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Jack, you're have to wait 2 years. Hobie's only 99. :eek:ldtimer: :hunter: :rolling:

9. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

:wave: :lol: So glad to hear I'm not the only one... "YOUR cow is out" is a lonely call to get.
    When we bought the black girls one of them had been raising two calves and they were not twins but hers and another strong calf from a dead cow. We weaned the calves young and I took the cows home. The cow that had been raising two calves destroyed my fences for a week straight... and I have good fences. At one point my neighbor found her about a quarter mile from Visalia, population 100,000 plus, strolling along headed downtown looking for her babies.
    I thought I had a jumper on my hands but once I got her dried off I figured out that she doesn't have a jumping bone in her body unless there are babies involved.

10. cow pollinater

I had to log back on to respond to this one as I'm still perplexed after a half hour of ponderance... Who is this "Donna" of which you speak? It almost sounds like your wife was helping you fix fence in the dark but I know that that's not what you meant to say...Is Donna your good cowdog that watched while you fixed fence??? Do you have multiple personalities one of which is named Donna??? An imagianary friend???

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep Donna is my better half for sure, she is a great gal and will help me do anything that need doing. She is a keeper.

Dad had sold two steers to a man about two miles down the road one time, the next day he calls us up wondering if we had seen them anywhere since they were missing. They had jumped his fence, walked all the way back to our house and jumped back in the pasture. Jim never would let Dad live it down that he had two trick steers that would return home after the check had cleared the bank.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

G3,you and i got lucky in picking a wife, my wife( Janet) helps with the truck garden and feeding the cows (and hogs when we had them) she works the gates and cuts the netting off the round bales for me. (I have a bad knee and it's hard getting on and off the 3020 JD).She won't go near the bee yard (she's allergic to them) but helps with the bottling and labeling.Like now she's taking a shower like i told her too, she might not of heard me (i was in the other room) but i did tell her to. :mrgreen: I'm liking retirement. :thumbsup: Jack

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

And I only look 82!!! :lol: :eek:ldtimer:

Jack, sadly my few acres comes with biting flies the likes of which you have never seen, psychotic neighbors, and thieves. Had a whole load of scrap iron stolen out of my shed last week, and there's not a darn thing I can do.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hobie,Iddee is a brave man telling a womans age. :lol: As for the biting flies, i've got those green headed devil's that get between your shoulder blades and bite while working in the garden. All my neighbors carry side arms, thieves,well every community has them. Scrap iron, i buy alot of that at auctions to make gates and other things for the farm (if your place is like mine they couldn't get it all :mrgreen: . Your place sounds like home,so i'll keep this dollas just in case old buddy, old pal. :lol: Your Friend Jack :thumbsup:

15. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Hobie, not much problem with thieves where I am, but in Texas "He needed kill'in" is still a valid defense. :D

Walt

16. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I bet every one of my kids remembers the middle of the night dashes across the road and the field on the other side rounding up cows who thought breaking right on through the fence was the best entertainment to be had. We used to drink cocoa after we got them all back in and see who had lost what part of pajamas to the wire, thorns, or gates.

Hobie, shotguns are the best way to deal with neighbors who are too friendly with your belongings!

17. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Unfortunately, that only works if you catch them at it. I wish I could afford a surveillance system.

A few years back we had to round up horses while the owners were away for the weekend. It had snowed and drifted so much, they just walked out over the top of the fence! Finally caught them about 1/4 mile away in another yard where they had found a bare patch of grass.

18. cow pollinater

Hobie, you need a cow dog or something that looks big and menacing. My parents have a Great Pyranees(he's really only mediocre at best) and I have cow dogs. We're the only two homes on the street that don't have theft problems. :thumbsup:
    The pyranees are great guard dogs as long as nobody finds out they wouldn't hurt a fly. They are huge and put up quite a show for strangers but real aggression is not an option for them unless you're a coyote.
    A cow dog is a little more low key but they will protect what is theirs with a vengance. Their instinct is to work for the pack leader(you) and protect its territory.
    I had one instance where I came home to an open front gate, my air compressor lying right in front of the open gate, a mans shoe laying next to the air compressor, and two heelers laying in the yard panting and wagging stump tails... GOOD DOGS :lol:

19. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Cow Pollinater,been seeing on the news about the flooding and mud slides up your way. Us hill people can't imagine how that can happen (to many rocks here).You posted that your fields were under inches of water and when i was putting out round bales of hay yesterday, i was wondering how you were feeding :confused:They said on the news this mourning that your getting a break in the weather :thumbsup: . Here's hoping everyone your way, can find a way to have a Merry Christmas and hoplully a Happy New Year. Jack

20. cow pollinater

Hi Jack, I have a few high spots to feed on and a four wheel drive tractor. :thumbsup:
    Here where I'm at we have heavy clay soil that takes water really slowly but once it starts to take water it can take a bunch. But once it's saturated it won't hold any excess water like a loamy or sandy soil will. It just FLOODS. It rained steadily seven out of eight days and the water was worst on about the third day and then it started dropping even during the heaviest rain. Our canals and ditches are raging with runoff from the mountains but there really isn't much standing water around here today.
    As far as the mudslides, alot of the heavily populated areas to the south of me are built right into the side of hills that people from anywhere else in the country would call mountains. It's STEEP country. We get wildfires every year that burn off the grass so there's nothing left to hold the dirt on the hillside once it gets wet.
    The flood danger seems to be gone but we'll likely see some more mudslides in the near future as the water soakes into the hillsides and loosens the soil.
    It can rain all it wants but it can't soak Christmas. :lol: Hope yours is a good one as well.