Cow pies in the making

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by G3farms, Oct 29, 2009.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

This is part of winter hay, there is 135 in the barn not shown.

[attachment=1:1my8uqo2]fall 2009 farm 017.jpg[/attachment:1my8uqo2]
    this was the last 130 or so bales we brought in.

[attachment=0:1my8uqo2]fall 2009 farm 016.jpg[/attachment:1my8uqo2]
    99 under the tarp, and about 70 on the ground

The cows are in another field just behind the hay that is pictured, when the 130 or so are fed it should be the end of Dec. and then I will let the cows into this field. It still has a little grass and is pretty clean of manure, good place for the coming calf crop.

G3

Attached Files:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Good to see you separate it. A local dairy lost 1100 round bales in their only hay barn from spontaneous combustion. Their whole year's crop.

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

WOW Mr. G3!!! you're doing good! I wish we had our homestead and mama would let me raise cattle. I've always had a fascination with them. We have a friend back home who is a dairy farmer. He is the only one in his county that sells unpasteurized milk.He raises Holsteins. what breed do you raise?

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

These are registered charolaise. I am trying to raise seed stock.......the genetics is what I am after.

G3

5. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Ok,I was just curious.Do you raise your cows for meat or something else? (Meat and dairy are the only things I know of,even that isn't very extensive)
    p.s. sorry to call you Mr. again I hadn't read the other thread yet. :oops:

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

LOL, Baby Beek you is a funny one! You hate the milking parlor with a passion, you can have cows when you can feed cows; same as everything else. From what I've seen of G3's cattle the genetics are top notch!

We've helped raise and take care of a few Charolais, Holsteins, Limousin, Longhorns, and the most beautiful Hereford bull I've ever seen.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

These are beef cattle, but I am raising them for the genetics. In other words trying to improve on the calves and sell them at a higher price for others to improve their heard with. This is why they are called seed stock. Think of people that raise a particular breed of dog and try to breed the best that they can to sell the pups. I am breeding for things like Low birth weight, high weaning weight, high yearling weight, milk (even in the bulls because he will pass this on to his daughters), maternal (does the mama cow do a good job of raising a calf), and the list goes on and then gets deeper in detail.

I am trying my hand at some artificial insemination also, no luck yet on that. Talk about an expensive learning curve.

G3

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Thanks Mama Beek, I have been working hard at it.

G3

9. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Alright that makes sense.Well they sure are pretty! If I did have cattle they would be either meet cows or seed stock! I really don't like the dairy parlor. Althogh I don't mind milking by hand once in a while! :D

10. Little Man

Little Man New Member

I wish I could raise cattle like G3.