Cracked writes an article about bees!

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Nenno from Ork, Nov 14, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Interesting and funny.

"Bees make honey out of pollen?"

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Bees may be intelligent, but the writer of that article isn't. Profanity is used to hide ignorance when a writer or speaker is too dumb to get their point across otherwise. Is that link suitable for our family friendly forum? I would like some other's opinions.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It's sort of a shame, there was obviously some attempt at information gathering and bringing this information forward. I assume with the title "Cracked" that this is how most of their articles are written in an attempt to appeal to a younger generation perhaps?

4. Omie

Omie Active Member

I think it's kind of funny. the profanity doesn't bother me much. Maybe just a 'includes occasional profanity' warning? It's not like we've never or read heard such words before. (Just my own opinion!)

Profanity doesn't impress me, nor does it particularly bother me. It's the hateful and hurtful stuff that I don't want to ever see allowed.

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

I agree with Omie. I've seen unintentional but mean things written on this forum. But, let's not dwell on that! I think this is intended to educate a younger, hipper crowd in their own language. The article contains some cool bee info regarding navigation, pollen collecting and the waggle dance. When I think about it, with a few exceptions, most of the participants in this forum are probably not the Millennial Generation.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

nice article with a good deal of lightness for a not so serious audience. profanity can be useful and without a doubt it flavors the conversation of a lot of folks from across the socio/economic spectrum. so at least in one context a writer that does not use profanity in his writing in the same manner as the characters the writer is trying to portray is neither honest nor authentic. profanity as a means of getting someone attention also has it place.... for example military boot camp.... where sometime the way that game is played it is not the weak of mind utilizing this gimmick.

like a lot of rhetorical tricks anything can be overused to the point where it is trite and no longer much effect.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Thanks for the feed back. This moderating stuff isn't always simple black and white. I need help from you folks to make it work.

Thanks Again

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I guess occasionally we may run across this stuff in links that get posted (I know for certain a lot of links to youtube videos contain a lot of unsavoury bits in the comments). I would hope however, that this type of thing never finds its way into our posts here on the forum.
    The lack of civility elsewhere is one of the main reasons I parked my hiney (can I use that term?) here! :lol: :thumbsup:
    Iddee, I've never had a complaint with the way you guys do things here. Carry on my friends!

9. Nenno from Ork

Nenno from Ork New Member

I should probably have put a PG-13 warning before posting the link due to strong language.
    As well as an IQ 85+ due to dubious science.

I was just thrilled that a popular comedic site took the time to bring up some interesting stuff about bees. It's not usually a mainstream topic.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Don't worry about it, Nenno. This is the first forum I have ever moderated and was just using it as a learning tool. I don't know what the members want until i ask. They said you pass on this one, so there's no problem. Aren't you glad you found a forum that listens to the members? :thumbsup:

11. Lburou

Lburou Member

From what I've seen of the membership here, I'm confident that when some peer pressure is needed the members will step up and speak out. Moderating a group like that is only a rare necessity. :)