Craigslist.. Should it be under the humor forum?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Iddee, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Hmm.. I want $25 a quart.. I need to change my marketing strategy apparently. :)

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

thats it Im going up on my price

4. Chickm1

Chickm1 New Member

And he is not the only one. I have heard of people charging $20 a quart, and they say they are getting it. I look at what I would be willing to pay. Of course, i have to compare against the grocery store. China Mart is getting about $3 a pound. Anyway, yeah, I want more for my honey, but I would be ashamed to ask what that guy is asking.

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

:confused: Some people are so gullabile and will pay that kind of money. We were selling quarts of honey to the wifes exmother inlaw. We delivered 3 quarts on a bitter cold January day and the honey sat on the floor board at Kares feet. The mother in law felt the warm honey jars and asked if it had just been bottled out of the honey heater. I told her no but she still told a lot of folks we heat out honey so we won't sell her any more even though she has called several times for some.
    Her son went to the local county fair that has a flea market and paid $28.00 a quart for raw Michigan honey.

:mrgreen: Al

6. BIGEDDIE

BIGEDDIE New Member

I think the honey is 10 bucks and they are getting 15 bucks for the jar :lol: Folks think $5.00 per # is high here.

7. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

sold 8 oz. jelly jars $6.00 yesterday

8. BIGEDDIE

BIGEDDIE New Member

I sell 8oz. bears for $4.00, I'm happy with that as we only have 14,000 people in our whole county.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I hope the fellow is laughing all the way to the bank. I suspect he doesn't have much to sell at the stated price.

I have seen pints priced in the vicinity (Central Texas) at 3X the price I ask. Being somewhat trained in economic thinking my price is somewhat to highly dependent on how much of the sticky stuff I have to sell.

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I don't see what's so funny here... I've been getting $20/qt. and I refuse to ship mine... he's selling to a much broader market so I'll guarantee you he's getting every bit of $25/qt.

11. dsnaproll

dsnaproll New Member

I agree Ben... Ours won't leave our hand under 22/qt. Once people are educated about Honey and where the Big Store's Honey comes from and what's in it, they gladly pay 22. I think they would even pay 30.

Dale

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

after one of my customer complimented my product as being wickedly delicious I may have to renegotiate my price. then I could also laugh all the way to the bank.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

14. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

The pricing makes no sense to me....

1 lb ( $11.00 )
    2 lb ( $17.00 )
    3 lb ( $20.00 )
    4 lb ( $22.00 )
    6 lb ( $33.00 )

So 1 lb is $11.00... 2 lb is $17.00 which indicates that you're charging $6 per lb. for the honey itself, and $5 for bottling... but then 3 lb. is only $20? Shouldn't that be $23? then 4lb is only $22 when it should be closer to $29... then 6lb is selling for the same price per lb that the 4lb is... which eliminates the idea that you're maybe giving increasingly higher discounts for bulk... so I don't know, it just doesn't make any sense to me. I think the pricing needs to be revised or something.

Love the pic of that flower field... that many hyacyths (sp?) must make it smell heavenly.

15. Tia

Tia New Member

I kind of do it the same way. My girls' honey is $8 a pint, $15 a quart, $50 a gallon, $225 for a 5-gallon pail. I don't know why I discount the more they buy because mine's' always gone within two days and I could probably get whatever I asked for it.

16. WVaBees

WVaBees New Member

When I start selling honey I hope I am so lucky...round here seems the going rate is about $5 a pound. But there are always those people out there that see a bigger price tag and equate that with a better product even if it isn't and make their purchasing decisions on that alone.

17. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I have a name for those people... I call them, customers. :Dancing:

18. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

There ya go. Do you want to sell your honey for what you would pay for it or do you want to sell it for what it is really worth? There are lots of people who don't think honey is worth much as a sweetener. Let them buy their honey at Walmart.

Put a high price on your honey and when it sells you will make more profit.

iddee, I don't think it is funny at all. I think it is smart. The guy selling on craigslist apparently knows that there are people who shop on craigslist who are willing to pay for what they shop there for.

Know your customer.