Crazy Weather and Feeding

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by litefoot, Nov 22, 2012.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Well, I fed my bees through the fall as late as I thought would be prudent. I did all the winter things to get them prepared to hunker down against the northern Utah cold, but things aren't very normal weather-wise this year. By now, daytime highs are usually below freezing and lows are hitting single digits. This year, however, we've had a string of days in the 50's with lows in the 20's and the bees are fairly active; which means they are probably consuming their stores. I'm guessing I should take advantage of one of these warm days and get some sugar in there. Would the newpaper method be better or should I make a candy board? If I feed them, will they choose the sugar/candy board over their stores?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would keep an eye on the weight of the hive. They wont blow through the stores until the start brood rearing.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

The sugar boards are easy to make. I complained more about the price of sugar than anything. The sugar boards may be easier for the bee to process since it is inverted vs. plain granular sugar on on newspaper.

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

I am haveing temp of low 40 to 70 so I am still feeding 2 to 1 sugar and they are eating it up, a gallon and half a week, or that is when I check to put more in. Waiting for the cold to get here so to fix up some suger patties in. I think the queen is still laying for there seems to be a lot of young bees in the hive.

kebee

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

litefoot,
    what riverrat said. things ain't normal weather-wise up here either. i would heft the hives, and continue to do so. if you think they are getting light then put in some sort of winter feed on a warmer day, whether it be november through late february or even march. in cold weather up here now, one can do fondant or a candy board, quickly. my choice for myself would be a winter patty, these are pre-made, or can mix up yourself, and these are placed on top of the frames typically in december. i am not one to use dry sugar on newspaper.

about your question; " If I feed them, will they choose the sugar/candy board over their stores?".
    answer.....they will use their stores, your extra feeding is insurance for them as they move around and up in the second deep through the winter.