creative bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by carver37, Jun 26, 2011.

1. carver37

carver37 New Member

I have rather creative and persistent bees in one of my top bar hives. These photos are from last week - comb being built on the floor (and up an inch or two on the side), underneath a brood comb and two honeycombs. I disattached it and hung it on a top bar with a hair clip. They are attaching it to the bar and continuing to build it. This morning, I find another comb being built on the floor - so went in and hung it. The bees are very unhappy when I do this; I'm not so happy either. Any ideas why they are doing this? Why do they want to build horizontally?

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

More than likely it is a piece that has fallen off of one of the top bars and they just keep adding to it.

Never seen bees build comb horizontally, would be difficult at best to keep nectar in the cells.

3. carver37

carver37 New Member

I checked - no comb fallen off of/missing from top bars. This is constructed comb. You can't see it in the photo, but the floor comb is attached in two places, about 1/2" each, to the brood comb and there are 5 pillars of wax, again about 1/2 in in diameter, spaced around the comb and holding it mostly off the floor. Very odd!

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I still say it fell off of one of the top bars and they just rebuilt it before your next visit. If they are a strong colony and a flow is on they can build a comb the size of your hand overnight.

The pillars you are seeing are just brace or burr comb.

Was there anything in the comb that was in the bottom of the hive?

5. Omie

Omie New Member

How about just giving them only enough space to build one bar of straight comb at a time, perhaps one near each side of the brood nest, using a follower board to prevent giving them a big empty space to fill whichever way they want. Place the empty bar between two fully drawn ones, then they will have only a narrow vertical space to build one nice straight comb in. As they get each straight comb half built, you can move the follower board along and add another empty bar in between two drawn ones and they can start another one.