Cree's Bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, May 14, 2013.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Last year I decided to go with Cree's Bees. Using my last name. Just got an email from my parents that there is a fellow next state over has a Facebook page Cree's Bees! What to do!!!! This really stinks..

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Cree's Indiana bees??

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I made stickers for bottles and for lip balm. Had a shirt made to help sell my product as well. It's not like my last name is common! Grrrrr

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Do a little internet research, and see if the other guy has anything copyrighted. If not, go ahead and use it, Chances are, he'll never know about you.

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Did some looking. It isn't copyrighted. 17 year old guy in Ohio. Heck, might be family! lol

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Seniority rules! :wink: :lol: :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

7. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Are you a Cree, as in Cree Indian? If so, there may be many relatives.

8. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

no, not related. lol

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

crazy, i wouldn't be concerned too much about the guy over in another state, unless he's copying your design, etc. here is what you can do, and it will cost you 10$ and i would encourage to register your 'crees bees' in your state. most states recognize trademarks, and you can register your name, or associated trademark with your secretary of state's office. the application is easy to fill out:

Indiana State Trademark Registration
    in part:
    "Registration of a trademark with the Indiana Secretary of State creates a legal presumption of the registrant’s ownership of the mark and the registrant’s exclusive right to use the mark in Indiana commerce in connection with the goods or services described in the application. (A federal registration would protect your trademark in all 50 states.)
    The Indiana Trademark Act (IC 24-2) protects words, phrases, symbols or designs, or any combinations thereof when they are used to distinguish the source of the goods or services rendered by one party from the goods or services of another party. Marks are checked against other marks registered in Indiana, but not against corporate, fictitious, or assumed names.

Questions frequently asked about trademarks
    (Indiana, in part):
    "What are trademarks and servicemarks?
    A trademark or servicemark is any word, name, symbol or design, or any combination thereof, used to distinguish the goods or services rendered by one party from the goods or services rendered by another party. A trademark is generally used to identify goods or products while a servicemark is generally used in advertising for services. In the following information, the terms "trademark" and "mark" are used generically to refer to both trademarks and servicemarks."

Indiana Trademark Application Form

10. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Thanks Riverbee! I'll definitely look into it.