Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Beautiful, and I see the Bumble, but do honey bees make use of this? I remember one guy up here losing a pile of hives cause his bees were in a field of red clover and were starving. Bee Health Advisor said that honey bees' proboscis couldn't reach through the taller spikes. (I know I had no idea)

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
Honey bees do - I bought seed. But it likes more water than it has gotten, this is gorgeous, not all dried out and spindly like mine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They were getting on mine just as I was plowing it in for the garden. I hadn't seen much interest up until the time I cranked the tractor:)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
The bees can't work the red clover like Perry said, because the first bloom head is to big. After it's been mowed (for hay) the second bloom is not as big and they can work it. Jack

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your right about the red clover Jack .It's funny that red clover is pink and crimson is crimson red.Why didn't the plant naming dudes call red clover pink clover?Like an orange is orange and a blue berry is blue.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's red clover.The first cutting is for hay,and the second they can make honey.If you don't bale it or graze it you can mow it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Just baled 30 acres last week. Luckily got it picked up and stored before 1" of rain fell last Tuesday.

This field is about 9/10's of a mile away and I'm thinking about moving a few hives over there. I think my bees are hitting the melon fields that they would have to fly over before the clover fields.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine are in black berries now and when the bb's are done I'll move them to red cloves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts