Crush & Strain-- It's time to Harvest

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by 40 Acre Bees, Sep 16, 2013.

1. 40 Acre Bees

40 Acre Bees New Member

Well the bee escapes are going in Thursday or Friday and we expect to get ourselves a little bit of Honey. Yeah!! I was wondering if any one has any pics of their crush & strain setups. I have two 5 gallon buckets with lids, a honey gate and a strainer cloth. I have a basic idea how to set it up, but thought I would ask the more experienced audience. Just looking for some ideas for the best setup. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

You should take your super to the local bee inspector for him to demonstrate how the love of his life (extractor) works . :mrgreen:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :thumbsup:

I would just use 2 five gallon pails, drill the bottom of one of them full of holes, and set it inside the other one. Then just fill the top pail with your comb honey and crush it with a tater masher or some such device. If you got real adventurous you could even use an electric drill and a paint stirring thingy. After a few days you will have most of the honey in the bottom bucket and most of the wax in the top one.

Or, failing that, approach your local friendly inspector about borrowing his 2 frame extractor, and save your bees the work of drawing out that comb next year. :wink:

4. 40 Acre Bees

40 Acre Bees New Member

Thanks Perry appreciate the offer, but we went foundation-less on our shallow boxes and the girls have made a bit of a mess, and we have some pretty crazy comb, the bees need another lesson on how to draw comb hopefully they will get things straightened out for next year. We will let you know how we make out. Thanks again Richard & Linda

5. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

What Perry said. I used smaller buckets, but same idea. I drilled holes in the bottom of the top one, used screen over the top of the bottom one for kind of double straining. I used a warmed up-ed kitchen knife for the crushing. I sliced and mushed until it was goop...then did some more until it was a more liquidy goop. I kept it next to an oven turned on to 150 degrees for most of the night, to keep the honey warm and draining but not get it too hot. Next day, I had dry wax bits only left in the top bucket. I warmed that wax on a baking sheet in the 150 oven for just a few minutes and tilted it and stirred it up, and let the last of the honey drain out the next day. Here's some pictures of the process!

Honey_Extraction_045.jpg Honey_Extraction_047.JPG Honey_Extraction_049.JPG Honey_Extraction_057.JPG Honey_Extraction_063.JPG Honey_Extraction_080.JPG Honey_Extraction_082.JPG Honey_Extraction_112.JPG Honey_Extraction_093.JPG IMG_7491.JPG

6. 40 Acre Bees

40 Acre Bees New Member

Harvest Complete

Well we are extremely happy as first year bee keeps. 24 375 ml jars, 11 assorted sized jars and a container of comb honey. We started out with two nucs in early summer and here we are. The crush and strain buckets worked great as all our frames were foundationless. Thanks to all on the forum for your support every time we had a question.

Attached Files:

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup: :mrgreen: :clap: :Dancing:
    And to think I met you at that bee school just a few short months ago. Well done!