Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry:
I had to cull a queen today. I gave her a chance but the hive never built up like the rest of the hives and the brood combs had drone comb in a shotgun pattern throughout.

I have 2 mated queens laying like gangbusters in my queen castle and wanted to introduce 1 of them and her frames of bees into the now queenless hive.

I have a queen introduction frame and some candy. http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Requeening-Frame/productinfo/274/ I was just going to stick her into the big part of the cage and seal it with candy.

When should I put her in the queenless hive?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I like to wait 24 hours but I have read where the bees know the old girl is gone in less than an hour, assuming of course that you removed her when you did the deed!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed her and walked her away from the hive and did the deed. There were 2 nurse bees with me to witness the execution and to act as pallbearers.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I did that once, last year. It was pretty sad and i really did not like doing it at all.

Sounds like you did the right thing though, if you have some great young queens just waiting for a hive to make good.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL! @ Omie!

We got it done.
They don't seem to mind her being in there. They're just crawling around on her cage very calmly.
When should I make sure she is free?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts