Custom extracting (The good, bad, here's the ugly!)

Discussion in 'Bees' started by PerryBee, Jan 24, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

On another thread about foundation, sqkcrk brought up the topic of custom extraction (where someone extracts your stuff for a fee, either $, honey and wax). I realize that in most cases all works out well for most that choose this route, but bee aware that there can be pitfalls! (trust me to find 'em :roll: )
    As many of you know, last summer was a tough time for me and my family with a big move and reno, so lack of time and a lack of a extracting setup caused to me call around looking for this service. As it turns out there was a guy (commercial) that did this and he wasn't far away either. Win-win, right?
    Well.............................................
    First, let me say that this guy is a really nice guy
    Second, except for this one problem, I would do it again

Picture # 1 - my stack of supers currently in my basement after harvest
    [​IMG]

Picture # 2 - I pulled 2 supers to take pictures of the comb
    [​IMG]

Picture # 3-4-5 - These frames came out of the first 2 boxes I looked at
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These frames are representative of approximately 25 to 30% of my returned comb.
    These were not newly drawn frames and they had been extracted before by myself.
    An uncapping plane is what I believe was used.
    What happened? My guess is that the frames were spun so hard I had blowouts galore.
    I would agree with Mark in that it might be wise to know the person doing your custom extraction.
    Everyday I live, and I learn! :roll:

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

Yup, they started too fast, and after seeing the damage, they adjusted the speed. That explains 75% of frames without damage. Sorry Perry :-(

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

That is unfortunate, especially making the ladies work OT on repairs!

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I imagine, knowing now that the outfit was commercial, that the supers were put in a hot room, perhaps too hot, that the combs may have been uncapped w/ a Dakota Gunnus type uncapper, though you mentioned a plane, and that the combs could have been spun at too high a speed too soon rather than being slowly amped up to speed.

Have you spoken to the beekeeper yet to see if this is normal? Maybe he has the same experience w/ his own equipment.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

He never said anything to me when I picked up the supers, I didn't even notice till I started putting them away. There's no way he couldn't have noticed and I didn't want to embarass him once I saw it. I just won't do it again.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I understand.

7. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Forgive me, but I don't really understand what I'm seeing in the pics. Is it plastic-based foundation that has had the comb removed in spots? If so, that is interesting; not the kind of blow-out I would expect to see.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Perry, was those full drawn frames? they look like the frames of plastic foundation i've tried to get them to draw out :eek: . The reason i stay with wax. Jack

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

These frames were completely drawn. :( There were a few spots that hadn't been capped.
    What you are seeing (click on pictures to enlarge) is the comb has been pulled away from the foundation during extraction. I surmise that Marbees and sqkcrk (Mark) are correct in that the frames were spun at too high a speed initially.
    This can happen with wax foundation too Jack, the difference is I can scrape off this mess if I choose to and simply drop the frames back in. You on the other hand would have to clean up the frame and put in new wax foundation and rewire! I will turn you to the dark side yet Jack! :lol:
    I will be interested in seeing if the ladies can simply clean this up properly or if they will just add to the mess? Any guesses? :confused:

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Putting them in when the flow just starts would be my guess, thats the only way i can get plastic foundation drawn. When the flow dwindles is when they make a mess of it for me, but they will eat holes in the wax foundation when nothing is coming in.But, if they have to eat wax, at least they can, not so with plastic. :yahoo: :lol: :lol: Jack

11. Omie

Omie New Member

Too bad you couldn't get the wax that was 'extracted' as well....lots of candles could have been made!

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

hopefully you haven't lost too much sleep over such 'small stuff'. it is amazing how far you (or I) can destroy a perfectly drawn comb and 'the girls' get right to work straightening our mess up.