Cut-out excitement

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by DLMKA, Aug 11, 2013.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

did a removal at some apartment buildings last Thursday. The colony had set up shop under a 3rd floor balcony/deck kind of tucked right in the corner of the building. Was able to get access to 2nd floor balcony via ladder. Got everything set-up and the maintence guy ran a drop cord from the laundry room for my bee vac. Everything went smoothly but in the end I noticed lots of bees going through a gap in the balcony to the third floor. Go to the third floor apt and knock, no one home. Go to the office to have someone let me through the unit to better investigate and there I found a LOT of bees and about 3' of comb 4 combs deep (only a 3" wide gap to work with though). So I relocate all my stuff up to third floor through the apartment and turn the bee vac on and nothing happens, must have unplugged the drop cord. Go back down and see that the outlets behind the dryer in the laundry room don't have covers and aren't even screwed into the box!!! I push the plug on the cord back in and it arcs and ignites the dryer lint behind the dryer. Once I realize it's not going to burn itself out I run down and bust the glass on the fire extinguisher and come put it out. By that time the temp in the laundry room was almost enough to push me back out but I got the fire out and maintence called 911. They used their IR camera and no hot spots and have me kudos for acting quick and getting the fire out. The firefighters were pretty interested in what I was doing with the bees too. The Apt Complex was cited for numerous code violations and I was able to finish up what I was doing but used the outlet in the apartments for the rest of the job.

I learned three things:
    A) I need insurance if I do more of these and charge more accordingly.

B) I should bring a generator and all my own drop cords.

C) Dryer lint burns like gasoline, holy crap. I went home after that and cleaned out the dryer vent and area behind the dryer at home.

2. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

1. Starting out. Semi-open colony that moved in a few months ago. They called me a 2 months ago to do the removal but the manager was a pain to me so I never called back. New manager was much nicer.
    photo 1.JPG

2. Tight quarters. The colony was in there pretty tight and you can see the gaps in deck boards and bees went above as I was working. Got even tighter towards the back when there was another piece of 2X10 scabbed onto the joist.
    photo 2.JPG

3. Honeycomb and LOTS of bees on the 3rd floor balcony. Not much room to work here.
    photo 3.JPG

4. put screen over the gap between so I wouldn't be chasing bees between 2nd and 3rd floor access. Couldn't get to the bees in the corner with the bee vac. I have a sinking suspicion that the queen was tucked up here hidden away but I couldn't get a hand or anything back there.
    photo 4.JPG

5. Code violations. Breaker panel was open too. Note the 220v line for the dryer with the outlet just hanging by the wires. The caked on dryer line had been burned off when I took the pic.
    photo 6.JPG

6. Hero that put the fire out!!
    photo5.JPG

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

HAHA what a fun filled day!! What no pics of the flames!!:lol:

I have taken some of the corrugated sign board and rolled it up to make extensions for the vac., also a short piece of PVC pipe or cardboard works wonders.

Good job on the cut out and thanks for posting the pics!

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Forgot to mention be extra careful with your smokers everybody! They can and will shoot out hot embers into places unknown and could start a fire hours down the road. I do like to keep mine completely full of tender to help eliminate the possibility of hot embers flying out. Have thought about putting some screen wire in the end of the smoker to catch them.

5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I never use smoke on a cut-out unless they get really cantankerous. I do like the idea of some fine mesh screen on the smoker though.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you quit your day job may I suggest a career in firefighting? :thumbsup: Nice job, and well done!

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Related to this if any of you are using the plastic flexible dryer vent hose I would change it to flexible aluminum at the least and even better yet solid 4" duct with elbows. Lint gets hung up on the pleats in the flexible pipe and as the load dries the hot air can get the lint hot enough to start to smolder. I have come across plastic flexible pipe that has been so hot it has changed colors to dark brown and have had holes melted threw the pipe. While I am on the topic of dryer ventilation, The fan in the dryer is designed to move the vented air 60 ft. which seams like a long distance, But every 90 Deg bend in the pipe creates a drag equivalence to 10 ft. of pipe. So count the # of elbows multiply by 10 and subtract from 60 this is how much straight pipe can be used between the elbows. If the distance is to long, In line fans are made to extend the venting distance. They turn on by the air pressure created by the dryer fan and run till the dryer shuts off.

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I always put green grass in the top of the smoker to cool the smoke and keep any hot flames and embers from shooting out and on the bees.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm going to stick my neck in a noose and say you folks squeeze the bellows much too hard. I see embers when getting the smoker going, but NEVER have I seen embers when smoking bees. I can hold my hand 1 inch in front of the spout when smoking bees and it does not feel hot.

10. jb63

jb63 New Member

thx for the grass tip Aphis, I'm going ti give it a try.

11. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I got the queen from this one. She is laying up a storm.

12. Scott Derrick

Scott Derrick New Member