Cut out/Trap out ?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Eddy Honey, Aug 19, 2011.

1. jim314

jim314 New Member

Whichever way you go about getting them, I hope you are able to take some pics to share of the process.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If I were in Texas with Tec, I would treat it as a package, since SHB have a good chance of devastating the brood comb.

If I was in New Jersey with Eddy, I would save all the brood comb I could, giving the colony the best chance of building up for the winter.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

With the forcast what it is here in Southern New Jersey (warm with temps in the 50's-60's) how long should I wait on doing this cutout? Should I wait till the Maples bloom or some other flow before starting this job?
    I'm getting anxious! :mrgreen:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would wait until you have a flow going, then a sunny, calm day above 70.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I took a peek at these hives today. Actually put on my bee-suit and shined my light in there.

The small hive is all but dead. There are many bees on the ground crawling around really slow and a few bees crawling around inside very slowly. I'm thinking they starved, or, were robbed out bythe big hive during these warm days. For all I know the small hive could be a late swarm from the bigger hive that just didn't have time to build up in the fall.

The big hive is very active with lots of pollen coming in still. I could see comb inside the entrance. The comb was empty. The cells in this comb seemed smaller than the cells in my beehives almost to the point that I wonder how a honey bee could fit in them.

I'm hoping the big hive survives until Spring. I want to see drones flying before I take them in case I don't get the queen I can let them make one.

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

We did this cut out today. This is my first try at this. There were a disturbing number of beetles in the corners of this massive hive. If this hive is a single hive it is all of 8 ft tall and 21" wide. There was alot of empty comb at the lower portions of the upper hive. I did capture the queen luckily. I had most of the comb out in this upper part and there were bees balling in both corners. The queen was in the ball on the left. On the right the bees were keeping hive beetles at bay. I've never seen bees attack hive beetles like this...it's almost as if they'd rather corral hive beetles than follow their own queen into my nuc box.

Ah...the nuc box...what an idiot I was...I looked at this hive a few weeks ago and it wasn't terribly busy so I figure I'll get a nuc out of it at least. ..needless to say I need to go back and take the boards off the bottom of this shed because that is full of comb and the bees didn't file into my nuc when I had the queen in there they went into the bottom portion of the hive. Could there be a second queen? Maybe there are queen cells down there IDK but they wouldn't come out into the nuc even though I had the queen.

The lady wanted to pay me but I said the lesson I got was enough.
    She insisted on giving me something . She told me her father had wanted to get into bees years ago but never did. Out in the barn was a pick-up truck load of brand new unassembled bee equipment. I saw hive bodys, top and bottom parts, frames and foundations, at least 6 queen excluders, feeders, etc... She said please take this stuff it's been sitting in here taking up space. I said I might be able to salvage it. I had no room in my van so I'l come back with my truck when I check out the rest of the hive.

IMG_1701.jpg IMG_1702.jpg IMG_1704.jpg IMG_1706.jpg IMG_1709.jpg cutout queen.jpg IMG_1711.jpg cutout queen.jpg

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Fantastic and well done!
    Nice looking queen, you left the site real clean, good job all around. :thumbsup:
    Now about all that equipment she is going to give you, what was that address again? :wink: :lol:
    :coolphotos:

8. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I'll have to use it for firewood because it's all 10 frame and I am 8 frame. It'll heat the house for awhile tho'

Will the bees actually use the comb I banded into the frames? I oriented it the same way it was in the hive.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Heat is good. :thumbsup:
    The bees will use the comb if the orientation is the same.
    For a first time you did a pro job! :grin:

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If the equipment is good, don't burn it. The very least you can do is offer it for grabs to any beek willing to collect it. There's nothing inherently wrong with 10s. If you tried them yourself, you might even find that you like them.

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Use the 10's for swarm bait hives if nothing else.

Yes the bees will tie the cut out comb into the frames and you will never know it (well hardly).

12. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I was joking abot the 10's folks lol. My wife set a spending limit for my bee obsession and I reached it so that meant no more hives this year....well..the Lord sure does work in mysterious ways....and I came upon all this brand new never used equipment...and all I had to do to get it was my first cut-out :thumbsup:

13. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I have a preference for 10 frame for a variety of reasons, I do understand that some persons would prefer not to deal with the weight issues, but the advantages in my mind, especially as they pertain to the brood chambers, those 4 extra frames could mean alot, in the honey supers I use 9 for uncapping ease. usually the bees use those frames for storage, but they will use those frames for that whether 8 or 10 frame.
    Barry

14. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

If you were closer I'd sure pick up some 10 frame stuff if offered!

15. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

It looks like 11 deeps, 11 mediums, 11 shallows 2 or 3 shallower than a shallow, lots of 2" boxes (shims?) 5 queen excluders, 9 entrance reducers, an observation hive, lots of foundation but only medium, no frames of any size/deep or shallow foundation :cry: but I'd rather buy new frames and foundation as needed...did I just say that?...lol.
    It's ALL unassembled even the bottom boards. They are tongue and groove with rails you put around the edges. The inner covers are masonite and the top covers are just galvanized pans.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A galvanized pan, a sheet of luan or plywood, and a 2" box make a telescoping lid.

17. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Dang you're good! I was out in the barn waiting for the horses to finish their grain and I figured I'd put some stuff together...sure enough..telescoping lids. No inner covers with these hives. Poor bees lol.
    Also what I thought was a box of shallows is actually the tongue n groove solid bottoms that I need to piece together. They're even reversible lol!

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good score! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If the airlines hadn't put such limitations on "allowed baggage", it would almost be worth a trip for me to pick it up.:mrgreen:

20. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Love the chicken wire idea.
    Trying it out tomorrow