Cut out

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Gypsi, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

And I think he had more than one hive in his house. Because what I have here, from spot A - is acting queen-right.

Huge swarm left for somewhere on Wednesday. By the time I got a suit and got out there, all that was left was a bridge of bees going from opening A to opening B.
    [​IMG]

We did the cutout on Friday. Took between 5 and 10 gallons of comb, honey brood, bees and all from opening A's location behind the gutter, in the soffit.

Those bees, from opening A, are acting queen right here, I didn't see her. Probably because she's the same size as her dozens of drones. and they have visible varroa - if I can see them on the bees I know it is bad. But they are just visiting the pond and doing orientation flights and cleaning house, having a good time.

[​IMG]

And the ones left at the house aren't acting like I stole their queen and hive at all. I left a swarm trap, they aren't using it. They are going in and out of the guy's house still (I left opening A open, no floor, no sidewalls - so the traces left behind would get robbed out.)

Anyway, everything is business as usual. Opening B goes into that nice slanted soffit area. Above the flooding. Bet I need a taller ladder. Any comments welcome.

Gypsi

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

First pic "A" and "B" entrance to same hive, just my guess of course.

I would also bet there is a hive in area "B" of the second pic.

3. Gypsi

We guessed that too - but there was no insulation or tinfoil in the cavity we opened, that opening A definitely drops into. I scraped comb off the beams, fiberboard roofing underlayment, and around the roofing nails going through it. Removed all comb. No foil, no owens corning pink.
    So there is either more of this hive, or a second hive in cavity behind opening B. With both groups of bees acting queen-right.....hmmm I'm thinking second hive.

And bee-less beeks definitely hunt harder. My friend who was rubberbanding comb lost his bees in the last snap freeze a month ago.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks for posting the pics Gypsi. :thumbsup:
    Keep us informed.

5. Gypsi

They were behind hole B
    [​IMG]
    Hiding in the 45 degree upper. Discovered a digital camera is very useful. So is a bee vac
    [​IMG]

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup:
    Was this a new hive that moved into an previously used location or was this an established one? Many bees?

7. Gypsi

I think group B moved into that cavity
    Last Wednesday, after a swarm left
    and cavity A was flooded with rain.
    Original hive in house a year or so.

8. Gypsi

I think A robbed out B today, while I was gone to work, but then I think B moved into a nuc swarm trap on my trailer. Presently A has 3 medium boxes about 5 heavily covered frames of comb, brood, stores and bees in each, and at least one queen cup was on the single frame of brood in the 4th box. WAS. Saw a larva on the front porch this evening, the queen may have eliminated future competition before I had time to move her. It was a big larva.

B had a couple of frames of comb with honey and bees when I left this morning. Has a couple of frames of empty comb and a handful of bees tonight. I think they'll move in with someone in the morning. Put entrance reducers on both hives. 2 space on B, the 3 inch width on A.

A swarm moved into my beetree trap too. Don't know where they came from.... It's wild here with spring.

Gypsi

9. Gypsi

I think these bees are mutt italians. Robbing-ist little bees I've ever seen. Just closed off the nuc swarm, building robber screens tonight, and screen tops that will let me feed each hive with a ziploc bag feeder.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would have to take notes to keep all this straight in my head. You have been busy! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

11. Gypsi

I love my bees. When you don't have many it's easy to keep track of. Just need to build more hardware. I'm wishing for a miter saw, would have bought one but couldn't have carried it in and had no place to set it up. Robber screens. Screened inner covers (This is texas we don't need to hold in heat, just keep moths out and bees in.