Cut out

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Beeboy, May 24, 2013.

1. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

I just got from doing a cut out. Not a huge hive, but a lot of comb. There were three pieces if comb in there that about 7-8 inches wide and 5 feet long. Tons of brood in it.

This is the first cut out I had ever done. The walls inside the house were plaster walls, about a half inch thick. I was thinking these are going to be some angry bees by the time I get through beating some holes in that plaster, but these were the most gentle bees I had ever seen.

THis put me up to five hive, as I was down to one hive at the beginning of the year, so I am super excited!

2. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Way to go BB :thumbsup:. Was this a house that someone was living in?

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

1. Free Bees, can't beat that.
    2. Did you get the queen?
    3. Did you charge for the cutout?

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

WOO HOO!! glad to see your yard is growing !!

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congratulations, nothing like doing a cut-out to get the heart beating faster, that's what keeps us looking younger than the non-beekeeping community. :thumbsup: :lol:

6. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

This house was empty. A man about my age (early forties) had just bought it along with forty acres. He told us the house was built in 1907, so that was neat in its self.

I did not charge for doing the cut out. It was fairly simple, and I try to reasonable with folks.

i am certain that I got the queen as I got a ton of brood along with a lot of gentle workers, then vacuumed the rest of them. There were not that many bees that we couldn't get just a few that got up high in the stairway that we couldn't get to, & a few outside.