Cutout hive building up slowly, but a major improvement.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Gypsi, May 29, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I did something right, when I combined the frames on the cutout hive first week of May and stole some of their honey. (I have to start keeping a journal.)
    I took them down from a bottom medium, upper deep, neither one with much drawn comb properly mounted in frames, into one deep, with a couple of medium frames that were part of the broodnest at that time.

I checked my cutout hive today. This is the one I nearly wiped out with a checkerboard attempt in spring. The one I combined down to one box about 3 weeks ago and only saw 2 partial frames of larva on then. Lotsa bees today. Probably twice the bees there were 2 weeks ago. Still didn't see that much larva, I saw a spotty band of drone comb that hadn't hatched out, the bees were backfilling the open comb around it, whether with honey, sugarwater or eggs. (may be my old eyes are seeing honey when there's an egg in the bottom, and I wasn't risking tipping foundationless frames at 95 degrees to get a closer look).

But I have wax workers that are busily making tidy and untidy comb in that deep box. And wax workers mean young bees. I also saw the queen, first time, didn't even see her when I brought her home. So I separated a couple of frames. Added some of their stolen honey comb banded into medium frames in the top box, which is full of wax-coated plasticell they climb up to hit the top feeder. Some of what I put back still had actual nectar in it, carefully stored in my kitchen. We still had flow when I swiped it, and I wasn't feeding them then.
    They aren't liking the wax-coated plasticell foundation all that much, but they are beginning to draw it in the deep for syrup storage. So it's every other, banded comb/ plasticell.

And it is working in the deep, hope that will get them to build out the medium instead of taking off in a swarm. No swarm cells in sight, I pulled frames out and checked. WooHoo! I hope I'm getting the hang of this. Will post pictures later.

Gypsi

2. Gypsi

3. Gypsi

The 2nd pic is the frame I found the queen on, shooting the camera blind, she was down in the bottom right corner. I think the 3rd pic is the frame next to that. I saw the unopened drone brood, but maybe that is worker brood there too. Either way, she's laying plenty of workers, if the number of bees in the box is any indication.

I have seen a couple of times a bee with a light dusty color on her middle part, between where the wings anchor (thorax?) First time I thought it was my waterputty not being dry, but I haven't used any in a couple of weeks. These are workers. Sometimes it's the whole thorax area, sometimes a lengthwise stripe. Pollen? Didn't get a pic today, might have one from May 7th.

Gypsi

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Baby bees. When they are first born the thorax area is covered in a fuzzy gray hair.

5. Gypsi

Thank you Perry!

6. Gypsi

Does my brood look ok?
    10 frame deep is Packed with bees.
    At least 3 frames have some brood.
    See photos of 2.
    They don't like 2 plasticell frames
    But are building anyway.
    Bees are docile and easy to work.