Cutout leftovers - how to feed back

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by beekeeperbrownie, May 29, 2013.

1. beekeeperbrownie

beekeeperbrownie New Member

Hello

I did a cutout Monday. There was a lot of backfilled brood comb and lots of uncapped nectar. I have an uncapping tank with a bunch of thick sticky uncapped honey...maybe 40 pounds worth. How can I feed this back in some way that won't cause a bunch of problems?

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Think slowly and carefully.

A worst case would be that the colony has AFB or EFB. This could be problems for years to come.

It may be adviseable to store the honey until you have had time to check the new brood from the cutout.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

3. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

feed it only to the colony is belongs to (for the reasons Barbarian gave). Put on an inner cover, then a shallow container (like aluminum tray or paper plate) then put on an empty box and then the outer cover. make sure things are bee tight on top to prevent robbing. The bees will come up through the hole in the inner cover and move the honey to the comb. They can work it pretty fast. This is how I feed back drained cappings. the main thing is to have it in a fairly thin layer (less than one inch).

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Question regarding the answers so far: If the colony had AFB or EFB would there be evidence of this that was noticable during the cutout?

Thanks-Ed