Cutout

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Vance, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Vance

Vance New Member

Did a cutout from a storage compartment of a pop-up camper for a friend of mine. Tried to tell him it was way to late in the year, but they are going to use the camper in a few week, and needed them gone. I tried to save all the brood and honey comb i could. Ended up with 7 deep frames of comb, enough bees to cover all 10 frames. i left the hive about 2 feet from where the bees were, when i go back the next day maybe half of the bees are clustered back in the camper. I cannot find a replacement queen, and have no ideal if i got the feral queen or not. I would like to save this colony if i could, bees seem very healthy and were very gentle even with all that i did. any suggestions on where to go from here.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

>>>>when i go back the next day maybe half of the bees are clustered back in the camper<<<<

How long ago was that, and did you retrieve them into the hive the second day. I have had to collect them 3 or 4 times before I got them all to stay in the box. Just keep putting them in until they stay. If you didn't kill her, you will have her in the end.

3. jim @ beebusters

jim @ beebusters New Member

I removed a bee tree last week out of a large pine in N.C.. Going to leave them until spring and try to them to work
    up in a hive body. When in spring is the best time to try and hive them?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The first day that is sunny and over 60, after you see drones flying.

Glad to see you signed up. Hang around, there's a bunch of good people here.

5. Vance

Vance New Member

thanks for the replies. I did the cut out on this past Sunday afternoon, Went back on tuesday and moved as many as i could to the hive. Went and looked yesterday and had about half of what i had on tuesday. Am going to go this afternoon and check again.