Da Rat and admitted adiction for new beees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Jan 2, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I was told when i first got into beekeeping that it was addictive and better watch out there was no known cure. Well after several years of building up hive numbers and aiming to go full time in bees. (isnt that all keeps dreams) While beekeeping is great fun you hit a level where it is hard work and a full time job without full time pay. After 6 months of being into business for myself running a machine and engineering company the long hours have provin to be more lucrative than bee keep thus curing me of wanting to go full time with the bees. Dad always said pick the thing you enjoy the most and make it your hobby pick the 2nd thing you enjoy the most and make it your profession. while it may not make you rich in money you will always live a rich life. Reflecting back over dads words this new year I realized I had went and violated them words of wisdom I enjoy the bees the most so I have made the decision to make them my hobby make a few nucs do a few removals produce a little honey but the number one thing i want to do is be like IDDEE. That is spend time getting the enjoyment of introducing new people especially kids to the fun of beekeeping. When doing so you are insuring the bees and keeps will be around for years to come. With that said if there is anyone in the mid west I am going to cut my number of hives down and get rid of some equipment in the comming months mostly hive bodies and such. If anyone knows a young kid needing a mentor in my area my mentor ship will come with a free hive to any serious youngster that wants to learn. giving some of my extra equipment to a youngsters is priceless. and I look forward to again beeing in beekeeping as a hobby

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now the truth........

Your third most liked... Machine work

Your second most liked...Beekeeping

Your very most liked.... Just exactly where you are heading. You have never lived until you have seen the looks and actions of a young person's first honey harvest, and knowing you made it happen.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

well said iddee that is the priceless part and you are right again

4. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Rat. I haven't looked to see where you are located at in kansas but I am going to be mentoring some 4h kids this spring whom I am sure would love to purchase some used hives at a reduced rate. I am sure they would love to visit with you.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I can still remember the first time I ran my finger through a frame of fresh honey and licking it off, what a sweet treat in the middle of the summer heat. A big thanks would have to go out to the fella that got me started Mr. John Grochelle, that was around 1971, hooked ever since.

Rat that is a wonderful idea, there is nothing more rewarding than sharing and teaching just to watch the face of someone light up.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Kinda like paying it forward if you will. A great idea!

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Im located in south central kansas south of wichita but i can almost spit a wtermelon seed into oklahoma if the wind is just right

8. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Oxford looks to be about 4 hours from Lowry City by map quest directions. Would make a nice day trip if the offer is there in the spring. I could load up the kids and spend an afternoon with you. I think I am going to have four girls in the 9 to 11 range.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I will put you at the first of the list pm me your contact info