Da rat scenario #2

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Aug 16, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Its the 1st of april I got 5 stong hives I am going to give 1 hive each to 5 different people. The hives are in 2 deeps each. The condition of me giving you the hives Is you have to go into winter over winter and start the spring with 7 hives. The challenge is you cant buy queens because you must keep the genetic lines of the original hive. you cant pick up swarms or add bees from another source. You got no drawn comb except for what is in the original double deeps. You have no equipment but with each hive you are allowed to spend only 100 dollars to get to 7 hives I need 5 people to step up with the way they would plan on turning 1 into 7 and have them healthy enough to make it thru the winter good luck and educate us. :drinks:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would buy 6 hives complete. Cost=64.00 ea.
    I would cut Masonite to split each of 3 hives into 2 nucs.
    Then 1 Masonite follower board for the queen in a 10 frame box.
    I would remove the queen and 2 frames of bees, being sure to leave at least one frame of eggs.
    8 days later, I would break the remainder up into 3 frame nucs with 2 empty frames, totaling 5 frames in each nuc. Installing at least 1 queen cell in each nuc, which I would have in the original hive after removing the queen.
    As each new nuc filled their empty frames, I would move one side to a new hive and remove the separator.
    Feed sugar and pollen patties.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

theres one good way looking for 4 more

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

here... without buying/having laying queens the April 1 date would make what you state as the ultimate goal of all these splits making the winter unlikely without lots of feeding.

I would take one hive March 1 produce 20 cells, split three hives into into 20 splits and with a 70% take have about 24 hives come late summer.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Good comment tech That proves thta what works in one area may not work in others. I like all the examples we are getting. We going to be the go to forum with the answers before long

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I got 3 more hives needing split to 7 is there any other takers

7. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

After the what if I think I'll just play sponge........ sit here and soak it all up and hope it stays with me. Jim

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You better NOT... The reason for posting them is to draw replies. We are trying to get people to post. How about some of you other newbies? You can guess if you don't know.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I know there is some lurkers in the back ground that are thinking what they would do. For those that fit that group post away. There really is no wrong answer. Remember you cant mess a hive up so bad the bees cant usually fix it. We are trying to build up activities on the forum that will keep you wondering whats around the next curve so you come in more often and participate. :drinks:

10. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Well lets see, is that $100. total to expand to 7 or is that $700.00? at $100. I would not even try. Don't think I can buy the sugar required for feeding for $100. much less pollen patties,frames and foundation. At $700. or $600 if you don't count the first donated hive. Split the double into singles, queen in one, eggs in the other.Super both with deeps with wax foundation frames.When the hive started with eggs have Q cells capped split into 2 maybe 3 singles depending on bee population approx. April 15. When original Queen hive has drawn top body 7 of 10 frames, seperate into two singles again as the frist split. In the newly split top body remove three frames with bees and eggs frome mother body and place in 7/10 split, approx May 1 and supper with deeps on both singles. So that 5 or 6 depending on how many Q cells I had to work with after the first split and its only 1 May. Should be able to make another Q cell split and get 3-4 more hive started by June 15 ( my personal cutoff date for splits) so I could end up with 9-10 hives going into winter. UNLESS the dufus 1/2 mile down the road with foul brood kills my yard. (what if ) LOL Jim

11. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Ok I would take the two deeps and split them by buying a second bottom board and top cover ($25 for both), then buy masonite boards ($10) and divide each 10-frame hive 4 ways so that I'd have 8 two-frame nucs. To get through winter I would hitchhike (because it's free) with the hives down to Southern Florida so that I would only need minimal feed ($65 or less).

12. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Do I need healthy enough Nucs to make it through winter? or healthy enough double deeps to make it through winter?? Makes a difference.

I would go through the scrap pile of wood at work, using it to build my hive bodies Cost $0. just labor. I guess I should build my frames this way too, since 140 frames would put me over budget. with only $100 out of pocket. Cost still $0.

April 1, pull six frames of brood/eggs from original hive. put two frames each into nuc bodies. Currently have four hives total.

June 30, pull three frames each from original hives, Making sure you have eggs in each batch, start four more nucs.

Total eight hives/nucs.

Oct 30, buy $100 worth of sugar and place dry sugar on top of each hive. Dosing it dependant on weight.

Figure come spring I've got 7 of 8 remaining.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The cost is allowing 100.00 PER HIVE.

14. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Ohh, well heck at $100 per hive, skip doing anything with the bees in the prior year, then buy 7 hives from a beekeeper that's decided to hang up his veil the next spring...

That's probably cheating though.

But I mean heck, where's the challenge in working with so much money? Can I just spend the $100 and pocket the other $600?