da rat scenario 7

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Aug 28, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

You are in the out yard working hives its late August on one of the hottest days of the year. You have 10 hives in this yard. Wearing only a tee shirt, shorts, and veil. You are working along and about the 4th hive you notice scratch marks on the front of the hive and another tell tale sign that the hive may have had a visitor.(what is the sign) You lightly smoke this hive knowing from experience this hive is one of the calmest you have in your operation. You crack the top cover and pry the inner cover loose. Thats when all h### breaks loose. The bees are on you like hair on a dog. you drop the hive tool and back off. Your hive sets right on the edge of a overgrown timber. You instead take off into the meadow and these girls are mad and still on you. You are taking sting after sting while hundreds of bees are bumping and flying around you. While the girls are taking care of an intruder the other hives start helping themselves to the suddenly huge flow at the neighbors house so now you are getting stung while there is a fight going on back at the hive. How are we going to get out of this mess. We got to get the bees off of us. Stingers will need to be removed you have the alarm phereomon all over us and we need to stop the robbing and button up the hive. After this is done we have to figure out what in the world turned this normally calm hive into the hottest monster we ever seen.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Find and remove the skunk (one way or the other :mrgreen: ).There are many ways to stop robbing, like yesterday i was working bees and taking some honey off and the robbing started. I closed the hive up went to the house and dumped a 5 gal. bucket of cappings on the picknic table (600ft. from the hives) waited 20 min. and went back to working my hives, the robbing stopped :thumbsup: . I have used a yard sprinkler in the bee yard (if you have a hose lomg enough) to stop mass robbing. Some club members swear by taking the lids off all your hives so that the robbers will have to go back and defend their own hive. I've not tryed it but several club members have and say it works. This probably isn't the answer your looking for :roll: . Jack

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

That's kind of tricky, cause if your stung that much, you might need an epi-pen or even a doctor. Your life is more valuable than the bee's lives. However, if you can handle that many stings, go in the woods and brush off with some leaves. (Young tree branches, bushes, or whatever.) Just get the bees and stingers off. That will help with the pheromone, too. Then put your gear on. (If you didn't bring gear with you then you are out of luck.)
    Go close up that hive and put an entrance reducer on them. Stand back and wait for things to settle. If you brought your stuff with you then you could start treating some of your stings while you wait. Or start putting up a fence while you wait. If you are still feeling fine, then finish your work on the rest of the hives, or reschedule a bee day with them, and put up a fence and a few traps instead. Then go home and rest.

p.s.The other tell tale sign of a skunk would be a little hole in the ground in front of the hive entrance.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Take your veil, gloves and shirt off, go back to the hive, thump on it and proclaim I am Iddee! Problem solved.