da rat scenarios returns again thought i was done didnt ya

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Nov 25, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

here goes its 20 degrees outside blowing and snowing. your hives are bedded down for the winter all strong and good on stores. When evening rolls around just before dark you drive down your lane to the county road admiring the new snow when all of a sudden you come up on your hives and there they are every one knocked over by not a bear but human pranksters. you havent left the house for 3 days so you dont know when it happened . 2 of the 3 hives are busted open frames still in boxes but scattered about some boxes on there side some setting upright and oh yes there is one upside down and that happens to be where the cluster is. there is also a box of stores that the honey broke open and will drip down on the cluster if put back on the hive. the third is laying on its side but propolis kept it from seperating. keeping in mind that the hives did survive the initial vandalism. how you going to upright and put them back together without doing further harm to the bees. Lets here from some newbees I have some general ideas some may work some may not but your talking to a guy that hasnt pulled his honey and its getting on december so fire away

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Re: da rat scenarios returns again thought i was done didnt

no takers on this one

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Don't know much you can do other than upright the boxes, check the neighborhood to see who got stung, and place orders for nucs for spring delivery.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Same here just stack em up, if there were frames of honey scattered around try to consolidate them and give to the clustered masses if any were left.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

im thinking if possible the one that did not break apart i would gently set it up right trying not to break the cluster. the other 2 I would cover them where the set with the deeps of stores putting the broke open frames to the outside. replace with the top cover leaving a place for them to exit and enter the hive and provide ventilation then on the first warm day where they are to break cluster i would attempt to set the hives back on blocks where they was setting. then come spring i would move the hives back into there original locations the upside down hive i would leave that way letting them move up into the top deep then in spring turn it over when empty.

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

you stated that the two that were broke apart were still surviving? If thats the case, then perhaps if you bring in good supers, and carefully transfer the good frames into it, as quickly and gently as possible, and actually use top feeder instead of the busted up honey frames, extract the honey and feed it back to them. I am aware that to do so would break up the cluster, and perhaps cause the death of the colony, but doing nothing will surely cause the same result, prefer top be proactive and be wrong and do nothing and wonder if it could have been different. I would be looking for persons with lumps and bumps on them as well--then add a few of my own

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

@barry exactly why I posted this scenario. It puts a keep in a bad situation life or death for the bees. There are way this situation can be worked to help give the bees a chance. I am looking for creative out of the norm ways a keep would try and deal with it. When all add there 2 cents then you can look at it and see if you think you could apply that if you ever find yourself in this unfortunate situation. I like to learn and liven up the board