Da Rat scenerio #5 urban bee keeping

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Aug 21, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

You are keeping bees in your back yard of a suburban home. You have 4 good strong hives in the backyard. You have just been served a complaint from the city attorney. Stating your bees are creating a nuisance with the neighbors. The clorine from your neighbors pool proved to be to hard to resist for your bees. other neighbors have complained about the bees flying thru there yard on the way to the sunflower field a half a mile away. You have no fence or high shrubs in your back yard just wide open spaces. The neighbors cant bbq because the bees are attracted to the HFCS from empty soda cans. The last straw came when a swarm landed on your neighbors car and they was unable to leave for there 2nd shift job. They have all banned together to get rid of the bees. They on several occasions tried to talk to you about the problems and you didnt take them seriously so they went to the city attorney as a last resort. How can we fix this so all involved would be happy

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

No takers, huh? :|

Well, I'll give it a shot. I don't know squat about bees, but I'm pretty good judging people. For the short answer...

It's a trick question: there's no way to fix this so all involved would be happy. The only thing to do is get rid of the hives. Better yet, with the way I've treated my neighbors, if I was to promise to leave with the hives, they'd probably give me a going away party! :Dancing:

Reasoning: The neighbors "on several occasions tried to talk to you about the problems and you didnt take them seriously". If I'm that big of a jerk and didn't bother to put up a fence, take actions to try and divert the bees to another water source, or try and take educational and communal actions so all could enjoy and appreciate the bees, I'm sure not going to do anything now except complain about what a bunch of jackasses I have for neighbors. :evil:

In fact, the more I think about it, I don't deserve to have bees. I'm so ashamed. I'm going to sit in a corner now. Shame on me! :cry:

Walt

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

I think all involved would be happy if I(the beekeeper) didn't mind moving.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OUTYARD..... Would fix everything.

5. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

I should've thought of that. :dash1:

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i wondered how long it would take someone to point out there is no realistic way to make both parties happy and the bees stay at the same place. after all it was mentioned the went to the city attorney as a last resort. the only workable solution to this one was and out yard. And even then the guy with the bees being a jerk would probly not like the idea of moving them to an out yard and inconvience himself

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I can't believe nobody said to give all of the neighbors a quart of honey :lol:

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Kill the neighbors.
    Problem solved.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Riverrat says to self "make mental note, Do not buy a house next to omie if i decide i dont like bees" :D

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Man, this scenario has us being such jerks... how about the scenario is how to avoid problems like this in the first place instead?

For that: start by putting out empty, well marked beehives the year prior to getting bees. This will test the waters to see if you have any neighbors with bee phobias. If you get complaints during this time, show them you don't actually have any bees and they'll be far less likely to complain again when you do get bees. Put out a water source with trace minerals in it for the bees... and install something to force the bees to fly above people's heads. Practice active swarm prevention techniques. Finally, give your neighbors some honey every year or two.

11. Ducks®™

Ducks®™ New Member

I think I would have called some of my crazy friends to have a 3 week straight thru party with loud music and large amounts of drinking and loud cussing ready to fight on a dime ;)
    Then figure out where their water comes into there house... Bees are natural,, most like the native Indians.

12. hardwood

hardwood New Member

Ok, I gotta party with you Ducks!

Scott

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Is parking an 18 wheeler in front of their house loaded with hives and no net an option?