Beekeeping Forums banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to have found you. I just started beekeeping last year with two hives. Lost one about Sep last year for unknown reasons. (CCD?) Plan to add two more hives this year, one by purchasing a nuc, and plan to try to trap a swarm. I have a mentor but he lives some distance away and I can get a lot of answers from this forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all! Joined the forums last week, just getting around to digging into the abundance of information found here.

My name is Matt, I'm an ecologist/entomologist in training (aka, grad school!). My fascination with bees is an extension of my obsession with insects in general. I was always that kid growing up who carried a butterfly net and mason jar with me so I could catch and observe the minute world up close. Today not much has changed, except now I've ditched the cheap butterfly net and now I run around with a more durable sweep net!

I am not yet a keeper of bees. My father, recently retired, and I plan to absorb as much information/experience as we can over the coming months and then start our own bee colonies next spring! So far we've joined the local beekeepers association (Miami Valley Beekeepers, Dayton Ohio) and purchased several books. Some members on the forum have also recommended a number of Internet resources which have proven to be very valuable, so thanks for that!

Looking forward to becoming part of the beekeeping community! :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Up here in the mountains, that thar is what we call L.A. ...lower Alabama.
Welcome! :hi:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello I am from upstate New York and have two beehives that was started in May of this year. There has been lots of rain i've had to feed them twice and it is now July 3 hope The rain stops soon. It is a pleasure to join this forum we need more like this to inspire more beekeepers thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
Generally, you will see liquid (nectar) in the cells. Gradually, the bees will reduce the water content of this to honey and cap with wax.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts