81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I can't imagine that much equipment, much less working it. But, welcome! :hi:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually my uncle has a great set up we have an extracting room that can extract at least hundred gallons a day. Back when I was a kid I worked for him. We would produce anywhere from 80 to 100, 55 gallons barrels every season during the honey flow. It was hard work but it was fun as hell. I haven't worked with him in about 35 years. Back then bee keeping seemed a lot easier. We never had to deal with mites . My uncle actually lost every single hive last year to the mite and that wasn't the first time. So now I have been doing a lot of research on different ways to approach the mite issue because here in California they are really bad. It tough because we are commercial bee keepers and we have a lot of other commercial bee keepers setting their bees around ours. But I am confident that I will keep his bees alive through this winter. Uncle Shorty isn't. But he loves the fact that I am being so active and aggressive towards keeping our bee healthy. I don't think he has actually seen a computer up close so he is amazed at all the things I've learned these last six months doing research on my iPhone during the day and my laptop at night. Anyways it was nice to talk to you. I am hoping in the near future to get better aquatinted with some of the commercial bee keepers hoping to team up during times like when the mite are really bad and discuss what's working and what's not. We are actually going into our forth week of apiguard application. Last week was stressful because the temperature was 104 to 107 degrees here last week for like 3 or 4 days in a role.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy all im from Australia, and new to beekeeping extremely excited to start. I have been hooked as soon as my dad said he had bees back in the day since then I havent been able to stop reading and studying everything. bees are extremely amazing creatures. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone I am new in this field just started with 5 hives

Require help from experienced beekeepers to start commercial production

I have 20 years of marketing experience and interested in import of honey

Best regards

·
Registered
316 Posts
:hi:Welcome.

Most of us would probably advise to spend a couple years keeping, and then increasing, your 5 hives before you get too ambitious. The learning curve can be steep.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bmadam1 here or Brandy, whichever works for you. I'm in Central Kentucky. I dabbled in beekeeping years ago with some success. Lost 2 hives to mites and 1 to I don't know what. Did manage to keep a couple hives healthy and thriving for a couple years. I'm pretty sure most of it was blind luck. Anyways, I'm looking to get back into it and would like to be a bit more organized with my approach this time. I've ordered 3 nucs from Kelley Bees for pick up in April. In the mean time am reading up, joining online forums such as this, and looking for local connections. I have quite a bit of equipment still from years ago and am getting excited about cleaning, repairing, and setting up my hives. Any and all advice is welcome.
Thanks for having me!

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
"...... In the mean time am reading up, joining online forums such as this, and looking for local connections."
Sounds like you are going in the right direction.
Wish you success.

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
Hi Brandy. Welcome to the forum. Reading will help you get a good start. Finding a local bee club will help you get a line on local suppliers who have been vetted by the whole bee club. You are getting a good start at the right time.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts