da rats scenerio #4

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Aug 20, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

you have a young neighbor that is wanting to learn beekeeping. So you agree to take them in and mentor them. What is the single most important piece of advise you could give them just starting out.Please include why

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Hmmm...I am in this very position right now. My neighbor and friend down the road is going to let me keep a couple hives on his place but he also wants me to help him start his own first hive. As a start, he came over to watch an inspection this week and helped with the smoker.

My single most important advice-
    Bees are not static. They change and flow like a river. They may boom and they may fail, they come and go as they please and they will do what they want despite your best efforts at predicting or controlling them. You may have bees today but it's not a sure thing you will have them tomorrow. All we can do is make 'suggestions' to the bees. Bees are not chickens. :)

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Never give up!

This is the most important thing I was taught. Not by a person either but by the bees. They have a reason for everything they do. There is much to be learned, books to be read, facts to be memorized, and several mistakes to learn from, but persevere and you will reap the benefits.

4. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Read, Watch, Listen,Ask.