Dadgummit!!!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

So that hive behind the chimney that had the bait hive turn into a laying worker hive... the dadgum bees chewed through the GE Silicone I caulk to get around the cone... I actually watched several bees chewing it up... and all the bees in the bait hive moved back into the wall... along with those few frames of brood... DADGUM stubborn bees! I think at this point they've pretty well guaranteed they can't be taken out as a colony and survive the winter, so I re-sealed the cone and am just going to use them to strengthen any other weak hives I have...

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have seen them chew the old style caulk, but I've never seen them chew the silicone. You got some tuff bees there.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I know it... it makes me want their genetics that much more... but I can't get them.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

wow!! I don't see how they chewed through the silicone, that stuff is tuffer than a hockey puck.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

whatever they were doing to chew through it also stained it yellow which leads me to believe that maybe they are using enzymes to break down the bonding agent that is holding the silica together...

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ben, we are doing a trap where the last tube of silicone is turning yellow. I'm thinking they may have let out a bad run of silicone. This one was purchased at wal-mart. Where did you get yours?

7. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

[​IMG]

Is this what you were seeing? This is the trapout Iddee is guiding me through. I think the bees were getting through a small opening so he had me tack screen over the opening. I started with white caulk where the tube had been marked "clear," but switched to clear silicone when that tube ran out. I thought the yellow was pollen stain, but it does look like it was throughout the clear silicone where the bees had been showing a lot of interest.

[​IMG]

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I am with Idee, that looks like a bad batch of silicone

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Home depot... and it's only in a certain two sections of the silicone where it looks like they got through... the rest seems normal even though it all came from the same tube.

Yes that looks very similar except that I used all clear silicone... but yeah the staining looks similar. The holes they chewed through were much larger though.