1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I have an old craftsman 8" 1965 table saw. That old toad care sure cut straight! That's back in the day of no plastic and quality was still a priority. Anyways, this winder I am going to build my own hive boxes. Need a dado set that won't hurt the pocket book. Menards has a set for 50 bucks but don't know anything about there blades. any suggestions?

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Dado sets are expensive anyway you slice it (pun intended). Personally, I just run my piece over the blade a few times as I adjust the fence. I know this is not as quick as a dado however I feel like I waste as much time if not more when I change the dado out to my regular blade. I then use a chisel and clean the cut if needed.

And yes,,,nothing is all metal today...very sad...

3. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Brett,

I have had two cheaper style dado blades over the years which just chewed the crap out of my wood when I was cutting box joints. I finally about a year ago bought a frued 8" set over the internet for about $80 (I think) which was $20 - $30 cheaper than I could find locally.

I have no complaints at all and am glad I did it. They have paid for themselves with all the boxes I have made in the past year.

Jim

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Oh, didn't think you might be using finger joints....if that's the case, the dado would be a good choice. However, if I ever decide to use finger joints I will use a router and jig for more precise fits.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I run a set of stacked dado blades from back in the '50's, and the saw to match. A craftsman 10" that was my dads, only thing I did was upgrade to a 2 HP motor and what a difference.

Check ebay for a set of stacked dados, even an older set will still last for years and since they are carbon steel you can dress them up yourself. You will need to watch out for the length of the arbor on your saw if you are looking at getting one of the "wobble" dado blades. These older saws had a shorter arbor.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Like Boiler Jim, Freud 8", not cheap, but then they were a "Christmas" gift! :wink: My wife always seems to know how to buy just the right gift! :lol:

7. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

8. DOrr

DOrr New Member

I agree with BoilerJim, the frued 8" stackers are the best and the longest lasting of any dado's I've used this far. They also come with a no questions asked lifetime warranty. I've sent mine back to Frued time after time and they just send back a new one. Best $90 I've ever spent on a set of blades!

For the cheaper route, pick up a Master Mechanic 8" "wobbler" at your local True Value. They only cost around $18 and they have a decent life for thier quality.