Dado hand hold jig

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by PerryBee, Mar 29, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Decided to make a jig that I could quickly throw on my tablesaw and cut dado hand hold.
    First I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood exactly one inch bigger than the top surface of my table saw. Then I screwed on some scrap pieces on the underside to hold the plywood tightly in place.
    Then I just raised my dado blades up through the plywood to create the slot for my jig.
    Then I measured over from the side of the slot 3 1/2" and screwed down a piece of wood, creating my permanent fence for my deep handles. I add a 1" piece of stock on the left side when I am cutting holds for mediums.
    It took a bit of figuring (knot, knot and double knot, Jethro Bodien style), but I marked and screwed down the beginning blocks and the end blocks (start/stop) for my long sides, and add 2" stock in front of those when I am doing the shorter ends.
    I butt one end of a box into the starting block, lower the box onto the blade, and then push it to the stop block, and then lift it off! It is basically the same as fatbeemans video, but he free-hands his on a tablesaw, and I just like having the blocks for comfort (plus less likely to have a piece get away from me) :wink:
    I will be able to quickly cut hand holds from now on, as long as I don't forget where I set the jig. :thumbsup: :lol:

Hand holds 009.jpg Hand holds 008.jpg Hand holds 007.jpg Hand holds 018.jpg
    Hand holds 011.jpg Hand holds 012.jpg Hand holds 013.jpg Hand holds 014.jpg Hand holds 015.jpg
    Hand holds 019.jpg

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Takes a bit of time to make the jig but afterwards putting in the handholds is stress free and easy! You dont have to count your fingers before and after to see if any are missing! Good job!

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

very cool perry!

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Looking good. It looks like the young lad is growing fast, he is looking taller than in the last photo you posted with him in it.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hard to tell from the last picture Keith, but that is actually one of my son's friends, my son is about 5 inches taller! :shock: He is a gentle giant and solid too. He would be good for football at Acadia some day but it's not in him. He doesn't want to hurt anybody. He turned 11 a couple of months ago and now wears the same size runners as my wife. Two more years and he'll probably start wearing mine (12) :shock:.
    I put them to work bringing me the boxes out of the basement and then carrying them back. :lol:

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Glad to see you finally received some warm weather to hit the workshop! :grin:

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"He is a gentle giant and solid too. He would be good for football at Acadia some day but it's not in him. He doesn't want to hurt anybody."

maybe takes after his dad?!.........:grin:

"He turned 11 a couple of months ago and now wears the same size runners as my wife. Two more years and he'll probably start wearing mine (12) :shock:.
    :lol:....
    perry, i think when my son was 14, i realized i was pretty much talking to his chest (and i'm 5'6").......:lol:

8. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Looks good Perry,

How wide and long are the slots? Also, how do your boxes hold up with the corners not finger jointed? I m thinking of changing from finger joints to that style.

9. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Perry, thanks so much for sharing your ideas. They always work well for me.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The slots are 13/16ths wide. The tablesaw I have advises against stacking blades 7/8 and over, so 13/16ths it is!
    The slots are 6 inches long, and because we only (mostly) use 7/8 inch stock up here I cut them about 5/8 deep.
    They are plenty easy to grab onto.

I just noticed an error in my original post. :oops: When I said to cut a piece of plywood exactly 1 inch bigger than the top of your tablesaw, I should have said 1 inch bigger on all 4 sides, giving you the extra area to screw those scraps on the underside. Hopefully the first picture showed it well enough.

11. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Yankee11;

Somewhere I saw a reply to a similar question and the fellow showed pictures of both constructions more than twenty years old and felt there was no great difference.

PerryBee; I made a bunch of HPDE washers and spaced out the dado elements a bit. There is a fair bit of overlap so it can be done and still get a clean cut. I think it was a full inch so I could make 1" finger joiints.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

What a great setup Perry. Just this morning I spent almost an hour cutting handholds on one box with my router. Each side had to have a guide clamped on twice, to take me through the two passes of the router to give me adequate width. Your arrangement is faster, cleaner, neater. :thumbsup:
    I had only one advantage over your setup---I was able to work in short sleeves but I can't take credit for that. :lol:.

13. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Perry,

I have made my first boxes with the dado corners like yours. (instead of the finger joints).

How do you fasten the corners? Nails, nail gun, staples? What size etc. Along with the glue.

These were much easier to make.

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Glue (titebond III) and screw. I use deck screws, and I pre-drill and countersink for the the screws.
    You won't be disappointed, and they'll be strong as all get out. :thumbsup:

15. The Bee Guy

The Bee Guy New Member

I use a drill press with a tire buffing tool.
    It makes a perfect hive handle.
    I have a jig I purchased to use with the tool.
    It makes perfect hive handles every time.
    Korschgen Hive Handle Jig on utube.
    But your way the setup is a lot cheaper and
    seems to be fairly safe.
    That's why I went with the Drill Press to make
    handholds it seemed a lot safer.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  16. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

The bee guy,

Do you have any pictures.

Also, do you have to have a high powered drill press or would a drill press from like Harbor Freight do the job. I've seen that
    jig your talking about and have been thinking of going for it.

17. junkhound

junkhound New Member

Perry , I think i'll try this and get away from cleats. Thanks.
    junkhound

18. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I'm building 10 boxes right now. I'm going to try that! Been using the feller on YouTube that uses a jig with a skill saw. Handles look great put they lack the angle where your fingers grab. Good thing I have a Hulk grip. My son says my grip is "stupid". Teens

19. The Bee Guy

The Bee Guy New Member

A table top drill press ought to work as long as it is bolted down so it won't move.
    I've cut handles into about 800 or 900 boards so far.
    It is the safest way I've found to cut good looking handles.
    I did hook up a shop vac to the jig to cut down on wood dust.
    I'll try and get some pictures up in the next day or so.

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Have you tried tilting the saw table to get the undercut of the finger hold!