Damaging wind

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Charles, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

What a bad day we had yesterday, it got so windy here that an entire section of bricks came right off the house. I hope I can find a good bricky to get me fixed up :-(

[attachment=0:rdhhkaw0]bad-bricks.jpg[/attachment:rdhhkaw0]

Attached Files:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well heck, that row of soldiers was not installed correctly to start with. I don't see any wall ties to hold them on, and besides that what are they sitting on, top of the windlow frame, there should be a steel lintel for the weight to bare on.

Just be glad you were not standing under there when they fell.

G3

3. Charles

Charles New Member

yea, I remember when I was building the house there were 3 places where the bricky didn't use angle iron. The bricks were cut in half between these windows so I thought they would be ok. The other 2 are over half round windows. It's the missing wall ties that worry me though. I saw him using ties when he was doing the walls so I figured he new what he was doing, guess i was wrong :frustrated:

Hope nothing else comes down, I didn't watch him do the whole thing :confused:

We had a couple contractors I didn't really like and they have all caused me problems over the years, first the fascia blew off, my driveway slope was wrong (water in the garage every time it rained) then this brick problem, the only other one I actually fired was the excavator and the 2nd guy I brought in was awesome so he fixed all the first guy's blunders ;-)

So hard to find good help these day's...

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Falling bricks are exciting, no? A few years back I had slates blow off the roof. Those babies fly like deadly frisbees in 80 mph winds, luckily they impaled themselves in the grass. So far so good this year (knock wood), except for the aggravating roof leak that I cna not find.