I went and bought a couple of 2nd year hives from a guy that found out the hard way he was deathly allergic. Went out and looked through everything after he left (probably should have done it before but he had to get back for a graduation party. One hive appeared to be queenless. It was a split this spring. Still a decent cluster and some capped drone brood. There were a handful of empty queen cells but I didn't see any eggs in my quick inspection. The next active hive was two deeps and a medium super. I was excited to steal a frame of capped honey but was surprised to find it full of capped and uncapped brood since it had a queen excluder. Each box had a hole drilled for an entrance. Since he hasn't been managing the hive i'm guessing it swarmed at least 3 weeks ago and the new queen came into the medium super and filled it with brood. I removed the excluder, stapled some hardware cloth on the upper entrance holes and took out the entrance reducer between the bottom board and bottom deep. When I move them tomorrow I'm going to put the medium with brood on the bottom with a single deep above it until the queen fills it. I'll have to rob some eggs for the queenless hive and see if they'll raise a new queen.