Dansk Farms in Winter Park, Florida

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by danskfarms, Oct 23, 2012.

1. danskfarms

danskfarms New Member

Hi, my name is Joe and I run Dansk Farms. My beekeeping started as a hobby in my backyard. I quickly found ways to expand by working with other local farmers. I keep hive in several locations now and I turned the hobby into a business which I work at full-time. We set up every Saturday at the Winter Park Farmers' Market where we sell honey, beeswax, and soaps.

I recently started working with Buckfast Bees that were imported from Denmark. They are incredible bees that are very gentle and produce excellent honey crops. I'm very excited about working with this strain.

Visit Us:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Bro Adam's selected for certain traits but more importantly rejected bees with undesirable traits. His quest for the perfect bee for his operation should be a model for us to follow in pursuing queens to head our colonies. Where Bro Adams left off is a good place to start.
    Good luck with bees.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a large HOWDY and welcome to this forum Joe. A long time ago I kept a few bees over around the Plant City area. night before last I was having a conversation with a fellow who's family brought the first buckfast bees to the US... he tell a nice story about setting around the family dining table with Brother Adam when they negotiated the deal.

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome Joe! I too run Buckfast and Belgian Buckfast.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Joe, and WELCOME to our friendly slice of the beekeeping pie! :hi:
    Turning a hobby into a business is sort of what I am trying to do, not sure how much success I'm going to have. :lol:
    Member Adam Collins brought in 10 Buckfast queens from Ferguson Apiaries in Ontario which has breeders from Denmark. I lost one when introducing but am curious as to how the rest will do. The remaining four I have are in tough spots and will have to show their mettle to survive.

6. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome Joe, beekeeping full time is in my early retirement plans.:wink: I love my buckfast colonies, getting more buckfast queens next summer.:thumbsup:

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Hi Joe. Welcome to the forum. :hi:
    How long ago did you start with bees and after how long did you become a professional beekeeper?
    I'm sure we'll all be able to learn from your experience. We're looking forward to hearing a lot from you .

8. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Welcome to the forum.

Your input will be useful and informative.

Do you have other skills and knowledge ? We seem to have a wide range of topic providers ----- Hunting, Fishing, Snakes, Road-kill and other cooking, etc. etc.

9. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Hello Joe, Welcome to the site. hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Jim

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Joe and welcome tot he forum :hi:

11. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

12. jb63

jb63 New Member

Welcome Joe.I hit your facebook and saw your queens.They look good.:thumbsup:

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

So is the Denmark based Buckfast brought into the country in the form of semen or eggs?

the picture of the queen on the top of your face book page looks to be more Cordovan than Buckfast.

14. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum

15. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Hello Joe and welcome to the forum. I do have a question or two specifically concerning buckfast bees. My experience with buckfast are from a large Texas outfit. Do you open breed your queens, if so how do you ensure that the breeding remains true--if that is even possible. The buckfasts I have are somewhat miserable to work with not why I got them.
    Barry

16. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

howdy Joe, welcome to the best beek hangout on the web, Im in Sarasota myself.