Data, Demographics, and You

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slowmodem, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Here's a link to a story about how business "gets to know" you and how they can use what they know. It's kind of scary in a way. It's a long read, but something everybody should be aware of.

How Companies Learn Your Secrets

I had figured that the grocery stores used the data they got when you use their discount card at the checkout, and that they would eventually sell the data (like to medical insurance companies so they'd know how healthy or unhealthy your diet was so they could adjust your premiums accordingly). But this takes data and marketing to a new level.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Now that is some scary stuff! :shock:
    Good thing I am so secretive about myself, even going so far as to post a picture of some anonymous handsome dude as my avatar to throw everyone off! :mrgreen:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

do ya' really want to know?

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

There will always be flaws. There are those people (and we know a few of them) who never buy fruits and vegetables at the grocery... because they grow their own or shop the farmer's market.

I'm always annoyed at the barrage of catalogs I get for, say, jewelry making supplies, because I bought a Christmas gift for my sister. Waste of trees.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

What do you have to buy so that Target will send you discount coupons on bee-keeping equipment?
    Sting relief cream? :p