Day 3 a little better

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Murrell, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Another beautiful morning, sun shining, 72 degrees, light breeze.

Bees were doing their normal morning flights.

I got fully dressed even to the point of finding my long sleeve bee gloves.

Made a normal pass with the mower about 6-8 ft in front of hives, then went around in back were they got me yesterday, watching the ground for yellow jacket nest, found no sign of any.

Came back about 12 ft in front of hives, big hive had a lot of bees flying around it, landing board was covered, and the front of hive was covered over about 1/4 to a 1/3 with bees.
    About 4-5 bees came out and bumped me and mower, didn't sting.

I went up away's shut off mower, idled back down about 25 ft. away, some bees still flying around hive, but those on the landing board and front of hive were gone.

Could this be a swarm mode ?
    I've had a few swarms, when it seems they got a little testy before hand, but nothing like this.

Thanks ;
    For you alls help and concern, I'm still tired but feeling better.

Won't bother you any more, going to the back of the bus !

Murrell

2. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Glad you are feeling better!

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I'm going to ask a stupid question, but when you had your stinging incident, were you spraying the grass at the hives or away from them?

I have a yard of bees in a small orchard. The owner is a Nursing Home. They have a landscaping crew and like to keep things kinda neat. So whenever I go there to work I call and they send a mower down for me to get closer to the hives.

I have 32 colonies there. I mow up as close to them as I can. Sometimes I even bump into them a little. I haven't had the same results as you have had. So I just wondered.

4. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I've had trouble mowing near my hives just once,and that's how I found out the one hive that attacked was queenless.Introduced a new queen,and now as long as I blow the grass away from them I can mow right next to all 5 fives without incident.

5. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

Luckily, none of my 4 seem bothered by weedeating or mowing. ---No attacks insue, so now I can keep a neat, small apiary. I used to be wary, but no more.
    LtlWili

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I always cover up when i mow around the hives, they are like people, they have good days and bad days. Most of the time they don't pay any attention to me, but you never know if maybe a skunk or something got them stired up during the night. Jack

7. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Thanks for the reply, I always keep the discharge away from the hives. I have roofing shingles about 2 ft. under & front and back, I normaly make a quick pass along the shingles with no problems

This incident, I was about 12 ft to the back & side of the hives, this I believe was the closest I had been to them that morning.

What gets me, it wasn't 20 bees,50 bees,100 bees, etc Coming in . It was 500 or so Instantlly.

Here is a old pic.

[​IMG]

I was near the tree behind the 2 nucs.

Murrell

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hey Murrell, just being nosey, what kind of set-up is the super( on the front hive) with the holes drilled in it. Ventilation maybe? Jack

9. Murrell

Murrell New Member

[​IMG]

I use these for ventilation, and I can feed by setting quart jars over the #8 screened holes, and a extra box
    On the front is a 3/8 by 1 1/4 top entrance with a closure.

Funny that some hives will use the top entrance big time, others glue them up !

Murrell

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I know what you mean about them closing the top entrance. I have top feeders on all my hives the type with two compartments (one for syrup the other for pollen) they also have a 3/8 strip nailed on the bottom with a 2 in. opening in the front for a top entrance and ventilation. I leave them on all year round and some hives close the top entrance for winter. Jack