Day Full of Bee's

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Hog Wild, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I picked up 6 packages & 3 queens yesterday morning from my supplier and headed towards the farm for a day with the bee's. These bee's came from Gardner's Apiaries down in Baxley, Georgia the supplier brought back 300 plus packages using a horse trailer just in case he encountered rain. It is amazing to me how many bee's make the trip back on the outside of the packages clinging on for dear life. I loaded the packages into my truck with 10 - 15 bee's per package still clinging and drove another 100 miles to their new home place.

Once we arrived I took the packages and put them in the shade away from the beeyard while making all the necessary preparations. These hitchhikers stayed on the packages for another couple of hours until I was ready to place them in their new abode. When I slid the queen cage out of the package guess who were the first to greet her upon her removal...they stayed on the outside all of that time waiting for the queen to once again make an appearance! :shock: I am in my 3rd year of beekeeping and yet I am still amazed at how loyal and hard working these bee's truly are!

When you pick up your packages this year don't brush those hitchhikers off, they worked mighty hard to make it that far! :thumbsup:

2. beewitched

beewitched New Member

Awww. I wouldn't. I have the heart of a tree-hugger. :grin: now... a hive beetle... eh, that's a different story.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds great!!

Sure could have used a few pics of the new babies:lol:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congrats Hog Wild, you're off to a great year :thumbsup:

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Bonus Bees are Best. I'll bet that if you marked them and followed their activities, you'd find them to be your best workers. :cool:

6. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I can believe that cause they are mighty determined to stay with their original queen. I never saw them leave the package or drift between packages.

Going down this afternoon to check the progress, hopefully all queen cages are empty! Iwill try to get some photo's with my phone. :thumbsup:

Perry are you rustling bee's up there yet?

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

My live ones (to date) are still wrapped, but we have just had a few days of above normal temps, warm enough to probably root around in them a bit (if they weren't so far away). Still trying to find local spots for 'em so I can move them. I don't know if there is much for them to forage on here yet. Adam Foster Collins and I were talking and he says crocus are blooming in Halifax! :thumbsup:

P.S. In beekeeping terms (calender wise) I'm so far behind, I think I'm out front! :lol:

8. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I feel the same about being behind, funny how you prepare all Winter and yet when Spring arrives you are behind! I am going down to Georgia next week for business but all I can think of is the splits I should be back here making. I do plan to pick up some queens on the way back, I might see if the "Fat Beeman" has any available for the gettin'. :cool: