Dead Bees at the entrance

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by kemptville, Dec 3, 2012.

1. kemptville

kemptville New Member

Is it normal to find dead bees stuffed at the entrance of a hive? I checked out my hives yesterday to add fondant and found that both reduced (smallest) entrances appeared to have been blocked by dead bees. Are the bees inside packing the dead in the entrances on purpose to seal the hive or is there something else going on here.

Both hives are up on cinder blocks 18" above the ground.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Not at all unusual. If the weather has been too cold for housekeeping the bees will stack'em up near the door and then haul them away when the opportunity presents itself. You can "lend 'em a hand" like I often do and use a small stick or twig and help clear out the jam if you wish.
    I would only be concerned if you "fish" around a little inside the door and find a huge volume of dead bees on the bottom board. Sounds like normal attrition .

3. kemptville

kemptville New Member

hehe Attrition! Thanks Perry

I did clean out the entrances and didn't notice a large number of dead bees inside. The weather here has been as you know - mild, yesterday's rain washed away the little snow we've had. More rain in the forecast this week :-( I hope they survive, the first hive when I peered in didn't look to have bees in it but I sure could hear buzzing in the bottom brood chamber, the top chamber had a few dead stragglers. The second hive on the otherhand had bees visible up in the top brood chamber to the top of two frames. They each have a good helping of fondant for the next little while.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'm heading out in 5 minutes to throw some big fondant patties on 5 of my hives in one yard.
    Funny how some bees are down low and some like to hang around up top.