Dead bees in front of hive.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by gloriousolive, Dec 10, 2009.

1. gloriousolive

gloriousolive New Member

Can anyone tell me if it is normal to have dead bees on the ground in front of the hive at this time of year? We have had a few sunny but cold days just recently and the bees have been flying, but I notice there are quite a few dead ones in front of the hive the next day.

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

There is absolutely nothing unusual to fine a handful of dead bees in front of the colony, older bees will die off leaving the younger ( those hatched out later in the fall ) to continue on with the colony work in the spring. Now if your finding bucketfuls of bees thats something else entirely, thats a major problem. :thumbsup:

3. gloriousolive

gloriousolive New Member

Thank you for your reply, that is reassuring to know, there are about a dozen or so each time there is a fine day and because the hive is on a paved area the dead bees are more obvious.

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Olive- Thanks for asking that question. I was wondering the same thing myself. I also found an underdeveloped bee and a drone amongst the dead. I thought that was interesting. I took the opportunity to get out the magnifying glass and examine them for varroa. No mites.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

and of course any drone of any kind or developemental stage is dead meat come fall/ winter, Drones are diven out whole sale come fall.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Remember... if the dead bees are out in front of the hive, "someone" dragged them out there, meaning at least some are alive.

Just so you are aware... you may also find quite a number of dead bees on the bottom board in spring, since they put housekeeping on hold when it is bitter cold. Sometimes hard to tell what is "normal" and what is "alarming."