dead bees in honey

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by notyet, Sep 6, 2012.

1. notyet

notyet New Member

This year is my first honey harvest. During extraction I noticed a frame that had a couple of dead bees in the honey. As I will be giving the honey away as gifts, I just wanted to be sure that the honey is still good to eat. I have an opinion from an expert, which is that a few dead bees is no problem.

Just wanting to be cautious. Your comments appreciated.

cheers

2. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

Welcome to the forum-you'll get a lot of expert opinions-most of 'em more expert than I am. However, it's my understanding that all processed food such as jellies, canned vegetables,etc. are allowed a certain number of insect parts in the finished product. Strain it to remove wax and bee bits and it will be fine. A little extra protein never hurt anyone.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Strain it and use it. All harvests will yield a few bees, and maybe an ant or two. No problem.

PS. Welcome. Hope you like it here.

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome to the forum.....I am sure the honey will be okay...I am sure if folks like Iddee can eat chocolate covered crickets and such, a bee isn't going to hurt anyone...

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Like the others, an intact bee or two that is strained out is no big deal.
    But- I wouldn't really want to buy honey that has a bunch of bee larvae and pupae mushed up in it because some of the super had brood in it. That's just too....eeeeewwww! Don't want to be putting larvae gut juice in my morning tea, thank you!

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome. Iddee - really? Chocolate covered crickets? I love chocolate but hmmmm.

7. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome notyet, glad to have you with us you can learn a lot here , know I have.

kebee

8. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome to our friendly forum notyet. As you can see, we like to have fun. As iddee said, just run your honey through a strainer before you bottle it.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome notyet: :hi:

We have a few members from your neck of the woods (assuming you're in Vancouver, Canada and not Washington) We moved out east from Burnaby. Have you met up with any other keeps yet in your area? I can give you the name of a good club there as well.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Gypsy, either you have the wrong screen name, or you shouldn't be surprised. Some of the weirdest things I have ever eaten were in the Gypsy camps, when everyone had had about 3 too many. :D

11. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I was pulling drone brood to check for mites and remembered hearing that they were good to eat so tried a few. Not bad at all. Mind you I am sure they are preferred to a hard shelled fuzzy adult bee. All said, I wouldnt feel good about cutting them up with the uncapping knife and seeing the white goo obviously going to go into the honey.

12. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Taste like chicken? :lol:

13. jim314

jim314 New Member

Only if they are breaded and deep fried :)

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip....
    Only if they are breaded and deep fried

tecumseh
    it's a southern thing!

15. notyet

notyet New Member

thanks everyone for your helpful (and amusing) comments =:)

I'll be bottling up the honey to pass out to the neighbours.

cheers

16. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Would they be good dipped in chocolate? (I have one hive that still needs its drone brood checked for mites - a shame to let a snack go to waste)

Iddee - I'm not a real gypsy, I just grew up in about 12 states. 3 or 4 schools in 3 or 4 states per school year.